Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

My plans changed

BrandiLynne36
Explorer B

So originally my daughter and I were scheduled to leave from MKE to MCO on 6/19/20 and returning 6/28/2020 due to she was going to be doing Dance the World with her dance studio at that time. Well due to COVID-19 her dance teacher decided to reschedule their Disney trip to December instead. 

My question is how do I go about "canceling" our current flights to be able to change them to when we are going? How would my Travel Funds work when i need to book our new flights for in December when those flights come out? When should I cancel our current flights? When should I rebook? 

Our flights are the "Wanna Get Away", so I know I won't get refunded, i'd get the credit/travel funds to use when i need to rebook, but I'm just not sure on how all of this works. 

I've never flown before, so this is all new to me. I am planning on calling Southwest and speak to an agent, but I wanted to get others input from those that travel frequently. 

Thank you and any and all help/suggestions are appreciated

4 REPLIES 4

Re: My plans changed

bec102896
Aviator A

You can cancel your reservation on the Southwest app or on Southwest.com all you need is the confirmation number(s) for you and your daughter and there is a cancel flight option you type in the confirmation number and a name that's on the reservation. Once you hit cancel those funds will be held under this confirmation number so when you go to rebook you will need this confirmation number. When you rebook on the payment screen after selecting the flights you should see a "apply travel funds" section click on that and enter the confirmation number and the name from the original ticket (funds are non transferable). If the funds don't cover the whole cost of the new ticket you can then pay the difference with a credit card. If the new flight is cheaper you will keep the remaining funds on that original confirmation number.

I would not recommend calling right now as hold times are long due to COVID19 instead the online process is very quick and easy and you can do it at anytime (up until 10min before your currently booked flight is scheduled to depart) 

-Blake

BrandiLynne36
Explorer B

thank you so much....i wasn't exactly sure when i should do it. 

when do they normally release flights for december? our new departure date is the 9th of december. i read two different dates, one being april 23 and the other being around may 26th.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The next schedule extension is planned to happen on May 28, but that could change. You can see schedule information here: https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/

Did you purchase EarlyBird Check-In? If so, I recommend not canceling, use the change function instead so you retain the EarlyBird without having to call and request a refund.

--TheMiddleSeat

BrandiLynne36
Explorer B

I did not do the early bird check in option. Thought about it, but didn't.