Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

NOW SW WILL ONLY LET US CHANGE FLIGHT KEEPING THE SAME ROUTE!!

ckokinda
Explorer C

We have a ticket from Ft Myers to BWI on March 26th which we cannot use due to Corona and being in our 70s so we want to change for late May from BWI to Boston. When I go in to change the route on this ticket there is now a big disclaimer that

says I can only keep the same route on the changed ticket!! I can't cancel the ticket

because I will lose my Early Bird ($80) which is very offensive since I don't want a refund of 

my early bird; just reapply it on a future ticket!!!!  Yes $80 for 2 people to walk on the plane

maybe 4 minutes before others and SW won't apply the early bird to a future flight!!!

But now I can't even change my route and SW policy is you can change in any way!!

What is this about?  I'd like an answer from a SW rep please.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: NOW SW WILL ONLY LET US CHANGE FLIGHT KEEPING THE SAME ROUTE!!

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

the message you might be seeing is "important you can change your flight" you should be able to change your flight to ANY flight you want. If the error is different could you post what the error is saying exactly and where you are seeing this error like when clicking change flight or somewhere else. 

I haven't seen any errors saying you can only take the same route because the schedule changes from time to time. 

If the error persists i would reach out to Southwest directly though one of these methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

-Blake

ckokinda
Explorer C

You may change your trip date/time at no additional cost if you stay inside the restrictions below.
Depart Flight Restrictions
Departure airport must be: Ft. Myers, FL - RSW
Arrival airport must be: Washington (Reagan National), DC - DCA, Baltimore/Washington, MD - BWI, Washington (Dulles), DC - IAD

Then there is  a drop down box that says:Southwest Airlines Reaccommodation Practices and Information:
When Southwest Airlines® learns of events that may affect our flights' departures such as inclement conditions or airport anomalies that may hinder our Customers' abilities to get to/from a particular airport, we will offer Customers the opportunity to change their travel dates and/or flight times at no additional charge.
Even though Southwest® is offering the opportunity to make these changes, the Customer's original flight(s) may operate as scheduled, so changing travel dates and/or flight times is completely voluntary and not required.
Customers who would like to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service (or fly standby) and travel must take place within 14 days of their original travel date between the original city pairs. (In some cases when a particular airport is affected, and Southwest® serves a "sister airport" or "co-terminal", we will offer the flexibility to depart from/arrive into an alternate airport. For example, if San Francisco International Airport is affected, Customers may be offered the opportunity to change to the San Jose or Oakland airports.)
Only Customers who purchased their ticket(s) on southwest.com are eligible to rebook via our online View or Change Your Flight service. All other Customers should call our toll-free number (800) 435-9792 for assistance.
If changes are made for travel outside the parameters of Southwest Airlines' reaccommodation practices, the changes are subject to the original fare restrictions and may result in a higher fare.
Customers who have booked a Business Select Fare may change to another flight with Business Select or may switch to an Anytime Fare when Business Select is unavailable.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@ckokinda 

Currently southwest has a blanket waiver meaning you can change to any flight you want within the 14 days I have also seen reports that some can change the flight up to 60 days later and in this case you pay nothing. You can choose any flight non stop or any layover that works best for you. 

If you want to change beyond the 14 or 60 days (depending on what it lets you do when you hit continue) you would need to pay the difference in fare. To see if it lets you do the date you want just select the appropriate date and not it will tell you if your within the waiver or not. 

-Blake

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@ckokinda wrote:

I'd like an answer from a SW rep please.

A friendly reminder that this is a peer-to-peer Discussion Forum, meaning almost everyone here are Customers just like you!

If you're looking to chat with a SW rep, I recommend sending Southwest a private message on Twitter or Facebook. Other ways to get in touch found here: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

ckokinda
Explorer C

KSBRG,

I have no idea what your above response about peer to peer means however I have sat online with customer service for hours and they are not helpful and I have NO response to 2 customer service forms from 3 days ago.  Thank you to Blake who asked me  where it said I had to use the same route so I responded with the answer .  Don't want to

take up anymore of your time so you can go around and tell others your "peer to peer"  response.