New Reservation and Early Bird Checkin

rlw120653
Explorer B

5 REPLIES 5

Re: New Reservation and Early Bird Checkin

rlw120653
Explorer B

Hello,

Can I Cancel a flight I have planned for May 3-9 and rebook again to take advantage of lower point totals during a special sale? Just Changing the flight will not let me enter in a promo code. What I really want to know is if an Early Bird Checkin I purchased will go with the new reservation (and new confirmation number). Thanks.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

If you cancel to take advantage of the promo you will lose EarlyBird and no credit will be provided for it.  You can change your flight and retain EB, but that does not let you take advantage of the promotion code.

--TheMiddleSeat

rlw120653
Explorer B

Thanks for the input.  I have gotten different opinions on this. Other responses have said that you Can cancel the flight, rebook, and the EarlyBird Checkin will transfer. As long as it is Cancelled and Rebooked at least 25 hours before flight. Think I will call and see what a Southwest rep says.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

The rule is that an EB purchase is tied to one specific confirmation number. Once that number ceases to exist, either because a flight was flown or the reservation was cancelled, then the EB also ceases to exist.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

What you are referring to is specifically mentioned in policy for changing flights, not cancelling and rebooking.  Cancelling forfeits all EB.

https://www.southwest.com/help/booking/earlybird-checkin

If I have EarlyBird Check-In and choose to change my flight, will the EarlyBird Check-In transfer as well?
EarlyBird Check-In can be transferred only if the new flight departs more than 25 hours from the time of the change. If the new flight departs in less than 25 hours, then you will lose your non-refundable EarlyBird Check-In purchase. Additionally, if the change to your reservation involves a new city pair(s), you will need to contact us to have the EarlyBird Check-In transferred.

Additionally, here's the policy regarding cancelling:

Is EarlyBird Check-In refundable?

EarlyBird Check-In purchases are non-refundable. Customers who cancel their flight will forfeit the previously purchased EarlyBird Check-In option for that particular flight.

--TheMiddleSeat