Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: No Refund During Unique Times

BRAD2525
Explorer C

"Give the airlines time to figure out how to survive."

Ditto to the airlines.. families are also trying to figure out how to survive.  Families need to be able to get their money back if they desire.

Slavko
Explorer C

Karma caught up with SW. Now the memories of decades of cancelled flights, rude personnel, lost luggage, and feeling like a farm animal in a packing plant are not so bad. Ommmm.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chrishamilton23 wrote:

Southwest prides itself on being loyal to its customers and treating them well.  This is making me rethink my loyalty to this airline.  Most if not all domestic carriers have waved change fees and are fully refunding cancelled travel due to this pandemic.

All of the airlines are offering travel funds or the equivalent for cancellation of non-refundable fares.  Southwest always did this, without a change fee, where the others have adopted Southwest's policy in these times.

All airlines are also refunding tickets on fights that the airline or government cancelled, per DOT requirement, this approach is also equal among most airlines. One of "the other guys" is still trying to limit people to travel funds in this scenario also. 

Southwest and the other airlines are all refunding their refundable fares, which typically cost 2-5x as much as a non-refundable fare.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Titanium89
Explorer C

I also requested a refund from Southwest Airlines, for tickets I bought in February for a trip in April that was cancelled in March due to Covid-19.  

Southwest Airlines sent me an automated reply “In this case, because you purchased a nonrefundable ticket, we are unable to honor your request for a refund.”

I’m not going to go into detail about the hardship Covid-19 has had on my family because there are so MANY people that have been harshly affected by this Pandemic, but I’m disappointed that Southwest Airlines thinks that this Pandemic is just “Business as usual” when it’s something like we’ve never seen before, and this is a time for thinking with compassion instead of greed!  Shame on you Southwest Airlines!

By the way.... how many millions of $$ has Southwest and other airlines received from the federal government to help them during this time?  I guess they are more than happy to receive help, but no way in .... will give refunds BACK to people that have paid for flights before the world as we knew it changed.

Tricia

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Titanium89 wrote:

By the way.... how many millions of $$ has Southwest and other airlines received from the federal government to help them during this time?  I guess they are more than happy to receive help, but no way in .... will give refunds BACK to people that have paid for flights before the world as we knew it changed.

Tricia

Well Trish

First of all I'm sorry to hear of your difficulty. Southwest is doing exactly what every airline in the business is doing:

a) refunding tickets when the airline cancels the flight

b) issuing travel funds (vouchers on other airlines) when the passenger cancels a ticket

It is well known that if airlines were to try to refund all nonrefundable tickets, that all of them would go bankrupt. It's going to happen to some of them anyway.

Oh. and that money you asked about, it's in the billions for all airlines. It's must be used to pay workers salaries thru September instead of firing thousands of them now.