Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

No Refund During Unique Times

golfeddy1
Explorer B

So after a total wait time of approx three hrs between calling two different lines, I finally spoke with a gentlemen.  This was SW corporate line for Rapid Rewards and Cancellations etc.  The conversations was as follows with no exaggerations.  Hello, I'd like to cancel my plane ticket to out nieces graduation coming up.  I'm sorry Sir we don't issue refunds for "the type of ticket you purchased".  OK, so you pride yourself on transparency and no hidden upfront fees and you won't refund a ticket during these unique times.  Well Sir, If we refunded every ticket right now we'd go bankrupt.  Ok , so that's the customers fault now that  it's a very unique time we've seen than any other.   He goes onto say the leadership here in Dallas has chosen not to refund tickets due to the Coronavirus.  Obviously they are not aware or don't care that financially this is a tremendous burden on families right now.  Perhaps the reason SW has promotions all the time is cause tickets are non-refundable when you buy the discounted variety.  You can add up quite a bit of money over the course of a year for customers who are in this position.  All the while other couriers are refunding tickets due to the Coronavirus.  CDC says no gatherings of 50 or more, Mmm, maybe it's time to look at thinking outside the box.  Lastly, I've always flown SW first and foremost, those times have changed after this, my wife and I will NOT be flying SW ever again.  

24 REPLIES 24

Re: No Refund During Unique Times

jksobonya
Aviator A

Hello,

No airline is currently offering refunds on non-refundable fares at this time. The Wanna Get Away fare is a non-refundable fare type. You can cancel the fare online instead of calling, for future reference. Once your flight is cancelled, the fare is available to use for up to one year from the date you purchased your ticket. Southwest also has never charged any fees to cancel a flight. All other airlines charge fees to cancel flights, and they have recently adopted Southwest's policies to not charge fees to cancel fights. 

Hopefully this answers your questions. 

Thanks!

--Jessica

golfeddy1
Explorer B

Jessica, 

I can appreciate you have an opinion to the situation and obviously spend a lot of time on this forum, but people really don't want to be corrected from your opinionated point of view right now.  They want solutions, everyone has their own perspective,  believe me this is my first time a forum.  I don't enjoy this type of communication and don't live through drama.  If I'm incorrect about other Airlines, I apologize but that doesn't solve the problem to the extent of my complaint.  

jksobonya
Aviator A

@golfeddy1 wrote:

Jessica, 

I can appreciate you have an opinion to the situation and obviously spend a lot of time on this forum, but people really don't want to be corrected from your opinionated point of view right now.  They want solutions, everyone has their own perspective,  believe me this is my first time a forum.  I don't enjoy this type of communication and don't live through drama.  If I'm incorrect about other Airlines, I apologize but that doesn't solve the problem to the extent of my complaint.  

I have given you solutions, which include explaining Southwest's policies on travel funds and no their no fees policy to change or cancel flights (which has always been the case since before the coronavirus). Let me know what other questions you have.

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry you are going thru this

You do know that, so far, every airline is doing the same thing SW is doing, don't you. 

No blanket refunds of non refundable tickets.

And as far as  bankruptcy goes, if that were to happen, you would get absolutely nothing. 

FWIW, there are as many people on the United, American & Delta blogs making the same complaint, and saying they will  never fly the airline again -- as you are.

golfeddy1
Explorer B

chrishamilton23
Explorer C

I concur 100% with your post. My family and I had to cancel a trip to Lego Land due to the corona virus.  I called to cancel my flights expecting Southwest to fully refund our purchase price.  I was shocked to find out all they would do was issue a credit for future flights.  We have nearly $1,000 that is now sitting on Southwest's books that we can not use to purchase groceries, pay our mortgage, etc... Southwest prides itself on being loyal to its customers and treating them well.  This is making me rethink my loyalty to this airline.  Most if not all domestic carriers have waved change fees and are fully refunding cancelled travel due to this pandemic. I expected Southwest to be the leader in this area and fully refund its customer's cancelled travel. Boy was I wrong!!!! It is disappointed to have loyal customers treated this way in these unprecedented and trying times.  Its bad enough that I have to drive around for hours looking for toilet paper and essentials for the next month or so.  Worrying about how I will pay for them because of a greedy airline won't refund the cash I paid for a cancelled flight makes this experiencing more difficult.  I will not return to Southwest after this crisis ends.  I hope others follow my lead and stop rewarding a company that will not step up and help its customers during this time.

golfeddy1
Explorer B

agreed, wish you and your family the best.  Let's be honest also, the government is not going to let the airline industry go under due to the significance it would have on the economy.  Treat customers Right!!!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@golfeddy1 wrote:

agreed, wish you and your family the best.  Let's be honest also, the government is not going to let the airline industry go under due to the significance it would have on the economy.  Treat customers Right!!!!

The government let United Delta, Continental(twice)  and others go bankrupt before. Creditors (including ticket holders) got almost nothing. Mergers and government cash infusions after BK kept airlines flying.

golfeddy1
Explorer B

That's unfortunate that that happened but I see your a top contributor on this forum, does that mean you can solve my problem or that you just correct peoples posts all day?