Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: No Refund for Early Bird Check In

SH5345
Explorer C

I contacted SW Customer relations regarding EarlyBird on 2 upcoming trips, one in April and one early May.  I was told if I rebook a trip EarlyBird would carry over.  However, on the May trip SW cancelled my non-stop flight and rescheduled me on a flight with a stopover.  I would never have purchased the new itinerary.  I was told if I cancelled that trip I would lose the EarlyBird.  This does not seem right.  I honestly don't know when I will be flying Southwest in the future and more than likely will lose any credits I may have.  Southwest is normally a great airline but the way they are handling things during this pandemic is unacceptable.

Famdangocruiser
Explorer C

Same problem here.  When my cruise was cancelled, I was told no refund of early bird unless SW cancels the flight.  Sure enough, a couple days later, SW changed me from a nonstop to a longer flight with stops.  When I said that wouldn't work, and I wanted a refund, they sent me an email thanking ME for cancelling my reservation.  Three days later got the taxes refunded, but have made three phone calls, to them and have yet to see the refund for the Early Bird.

tlvann2020
Explorer C

I contacted Customer Relations and received ZERO satisfaction.  The representative was a robot and just kept repeating that the early bird fee is non-refundable.

These are unusual times.  I cancelled my reservation strictly because of COVID-19.  My hotel reservations were cancelled by the hotels.  My cousin would be flying in from Germany and that is NOT allowed.  I had no choice but to cancel the airline reservation.  I did not know the early bird fee was not refundable.  I WILL NEVER BOOK THAT AGAIN.  Southwest is a $20 billion dollar company and they will not refund a $25 early bird fee.  Know wonder this country is outraged over the greedy corporate America.  Southwest customer service is unsatisfactory and downright insulting.  SURE WISH I WOULD HAVE BOOKED WITH DELTA!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@tlvann2020 wrote:

I contacted Customer Relations and received ZERO satisfaction.  The representative was a robot and just kept repeating that the early bird fee is non-refundable.

Please read the post immediately above yours

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@tlvann2020 wrote:

These are unusual times.  I cancelled my reservation strictly because of COVID-19.  My hotel reservations were cancelled by the hotels.  My cousin would be flying in from Germany and that is NOT allowed.  I had no choice but to cancel the airline reservation.  I did not know the early bird fee was not refundable.  I WILL NEVER BOOK THAT AGAIN.  Southwest is a $20 billion dollar company and they will not refund a $25 early bird fee.  Know wonder this country is outraged over the greedy corporate America.  Southwest customer service is unsatisfactory and downright insulting.  SURE WISH I WOULD HAVE BOOKED WITH DELTA!!

I'm so sorry to hear this. While EarlyBird is nonrefundable, Customer Relations is able to assist some Customers with reservations taking place between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020. As a peer-to-peer support forum, I am not equipped to look at your reservation, but I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations  if the timeframe applies to you. Apologies again if this would be your second time reaching out. Thank you.

Nicole
Community Manager

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Southwest, like all airlines around the world, is trying to survive right now. The terms were clearly laid out when you purchased EBCI. They are losing much more than you, and I suggest it is unfair that you expect them to make an exception in this regard. It isn't your fault, but it isn't their fault either. Honestly, EBCI is a relatively small amount, and they are just playing by clearly stated and fair rules.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@bwallet wrote:

Southwest, like all airlines around the world, is trying to survive right now. The terms were clearly laid out when you purchased EBCI. They are losing much more than you, and I suggest it is unfair that you expect them to make an exception in this regard. It isn't your fault, but it isn't their fault either. Honestly, EBCI is a relatively small amount, and they are just playing by clearly stated and fair rules.

IMHO, $200 (EBCI for a family of 4 on some round trips) isn't that small of an amount.

Most importantly, it would seem that "rules" are somewhat nebulous these days.

An example: Southwest is refusing the refund these fees even when they've cancelled a flight. This would seem to be not "playing by clearly stated and fair rules."

ebci.png

balewis616
Explorer C

The "this is clearly stated in the EarlyBird" policy is ignorant.  This is in the middle of a pandemic crisis where they have changed their policies accept this one.  Which is nothing more than a money grab.  It's disgusting a move by a company the "Luvs" their passengers.

Their contract of carriage doesn't cover them here and there will be a significant class action lawsuit that they will lose.

In the meantime dispute the charges.  Many of us cannot legally fly.