Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

No middle seat until 1/6/2021 from Delta Airline

iaawe8286
Explorer B

Dear Southwest Friends,

Just receive an email from Delta Airline that they will limit certain number of customers and block the middle seat until 1/06/2021.

It was a surprise that I received an early flu shot of 2020 from Safeway on Wednesday night. I was anxious and concern that I do not want to get the flu before I get the flu shot. It takes two weeks to be effective. Hopefully, we all will get the COVID shot by 1/2021 or earlier.

I can not wait until I can use all of my Southwest Airline repaid reward points to travel for FUN later.  I drive my vehicle for business trip during this pandemic. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: No middle seat until 1/6/2021 from Delta Airline

gsking
Aviator C

So, are you implying Southwest should do the same?   I disagree.   I think Southwest should do whatever they need to do to stay in business. 

I'm about to take off right now.   I'm totally comfortable flying.   Well, I'd be better without a mask, with a Wild Turkey and Coke in my hand.   But... we can't have everything. 

Enjoy driving without your mask.  But don't drink. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I think that's the right thing to do. I'm hopefully optimistic that Southwest will follow suit.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

M feeling is that SWA will also do the same. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Extended but also altered, which I can understand. More here: Delta Extends & Scales Back Seat Blocking Policy 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Sweety-D
Explorer A

I have a love/hate relationship with the open middle seat policy. Obviously the reason to love it is I have no one sitting next to me anymore. But I hate it because SW now has 33% less seats for sale and the plane is sold out more often. I realize less people are flying right now so that opens up more seats. However, when you fly as often as I do yo still run into a lot of sold out flights. 

I sure hope they open up middle seats soon. I have been flying all over Europe/Asia recently and one of the the airlines I was on did not have the middle seat open. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@Sweety-D wrote:

I have a love/hate relationship with the open middle seat policy. Obviously the reason to love it is I have no one sitting next to me anymore. But I hate it because SW now has 33% less seats for sale and the plane is sold out more often. I realize less people are flying right now so that opens up more seats. However, when you fly as often as I do yo still run into a lot of sold out flights. 

I sure hope they open up middle seats soon. I have been flying all over Europe/Asia recently and one of the the airlines I was on did not have the middle seat open. 

I do agree with you there I enjoy the open space but when the airline blocks the middle seats that in turn makes ticket prices go up and more flights are sold out so getting the flight you want can be harder if it's a popular route/destination. 

Maybe later on they could not block middle seats but if the flight is over 70% full a week out allow a free change to a less full flight where you could have a better chance of a open middle seat for those who still want the space or have a handful of open middle seat flights where all middle seats are still blocked of course that could get complicated when you have to connect where 1 is open middle seats the other is all seats for sale but who knows just a random idea that came to my mind this morning. 

-Blake

Sweety-D
Explorer A

In principle your idea is great, but as you said, logistically it sounds very difficult. About half the flights I book are 1 week out, so business travelers like me would certainly welcome a plan like yours. 

Concerning cost: I would pay any amount for my flights, I don't fly SW because it's cheap I fly SW because I live in the geographical SW (CA) and it has the most direct flights to the places I travel to. Money is not even a consideration when I book a ticket, but I realize most people don't have this attitude. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If the airline can keep getting good fares, then they'll have more reason to keep the middle seats open longer. 

I hope so as well. I have some travel planned in October which will be under the current requirements. Otherwise I'll be very interested to find those less busy flights if possible.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'm sure SWA will follow the pattern of the COVID and not other airlines.  But I've seen them be proactive up to this point, so I don't anticipate anything different in the future.  Since it is assumed that a possible increase of outbreaks will happen when the cooler flu season hits, they will extend the no middle seat policy.