Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

No refund, no extension of "Use by date" , cancelled due to flight changes

lizkey88
Explorer C

We have always used SW, as a family of 8 we fly a lot. I have had to reschedule my flights several times this year r/t covid.  No problem, still had a trip booked and using the funds.  But nope!  Southwest changed the flights to something ridiculous, seriously they had me departing one airport an hour BEFORE I arrived on the connecting flight.  Explain that?  I had to cancel and book with another airline.  In the midst of this I now have $373 worth of credit that expires on 12/30/20 that I can't use before then.  

After over 2 hours on hold, explaining everything to an agent and getting conveniently "disconnected" I wrote Southwest an email asking them to refund my money or at least extend my expiration date, even convert it to points.  I got a return email saying it may take 48 hours to reply.  Ok, sure.  Well 7 days later I get a boilerplate email blaming all of their bad service on covid and not even addressing one thing I said in my email.  

Here I sit, donating almost $400 to Southwest without even a reply to my email that was finally answered almost 4 times longer than quoted.  

I guess word of mouth is the only way to get this horrible customer service out so I am starting here to see if I can resolve it then going to social media.  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: No refund, no extension of "Use by date" , cancelled due to flight changes

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

In a situation where you pay cash for a flight then it gets changed or cancelled you are eligible for a cash refund.  In this case it sounds like you used travel funds to purchase the flight so the refund is completed by reissuing the travel funds with the expiration date 1 year from the original purchase date that initially created these funds.  Southwest was extending travel fund expiration to September 2022, but to get that the trip needed to be cancelled before September 2020.  In your case you didn't really have the opportunity to cancel before September and thus the earlier expiration date.  When Southwest changed your flight you could have changed it to something that actually worked without any additional payment, but you chose to cancel.  If you would like, after the travel funds expire you can convert them to a LUV voucher that is good for 6 months after deducting $100 from the value of each travel fund.  Or, perhaps Southwest will offer another opportunity to extend travel funds before yours expire.  Fingers crossed.

--TheMiddleSeat

--TheMiddleSeat

lizkey88
Explorer C

Actually no, I could not cancel in September because SW didn't screw up my flight until October.  I was NOT able to just switch to something that worked for me because there was no longer anything available that arrived when I needed to.  So I was left with no other options, cancel or just no show the flight.  I have 4 separate travel credits so that would use up my entire $373.  Very sad that Southwest basically considered my fares a donation to their company.  I shouldn't have to "cross my fingers" for some magic to be worked so that I can get a refund or travel credit that I can actually use.  I guess Southwest better "cross their fingers" that the public doesn't remember all the ways they were taken advantage of during covid by them.  I know this family of 8 will certainly book our future travel on a more reliable airline unless something changes.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Lol, if you actually read my message I acknowledged you didn't have the opportunity to cancel earlier. If you have multiple travel funds for the same person use them to book a flight for the total value of the combined funds, then cancel that flight so that you then only have one travel fund to extend. If the funds are for different travelers then that option does not help. Since the funds are still valid and it appears you are not opposed to traveling now they are hardly a donation unless you choose not to travel. There's still time, hopefully you can take a quick trip. 

--TheMiddleSeat

lizkey88
Explorer C

I'm not opposed to travel but you have to consider employers have rules for vacation time and are still trying to work around covid.  I wouldn't be able to request less than 90 days out.  None of this would have happened if SW would not have changed me to an impossible flight.  

You might be on to something with booking a flight and canceling but wouldn't they just return the credits to the original reservation number?  Leaving me in the same situation as now?  I'm sure thats how they've refunded it previously.....

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

I apologize for the frustration after we rescheduled your flight, @lizkey88. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but we recommend you Contact Customer Relations. There they can pull up your specific flight itinerary or travel funds and make the best recommendation. The options on social media are often the quickest!

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager