Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Numerous changes in the last 3 days.

Annekg
Explorer C

In the last three days I have had numerous changes to a several flights that I have booked in the near future. Times have changed, nonstop flights are now flights with connections, etc. I’ve been on hold for over an hour and a half to fix one of the flights debating if I should just cancel the other. Does anyone know what’s going on with all these reservation changes? Literally every reservation I have has been modified. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Numerous changes in the last 3 days.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yep, it's that time again. You should be able to make changes online instead of waiting on hold. Any particular reason changing online doesn't work for you? 

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Annekg wrote:

In the last three days I have had numerous changes to a several flights that I have booked in the near future. Times have changed, nonstop flights are now flights with connections, etc. I’ve been on hold for over an hour and a half to fix one of the flights debating if I should just cancel the other. Does anyone know what’s going on with all these reservation changes? Literally every reservation I have has been modified. 

Due to drastically decreased travel demand as a result of the pandemic, Southwest has cut about 40% of their flight schedule. Southwest is losing an average of $17 million every day just keeping it's operations running. And recent staff cuts combined with an overextended rebooking system have created lengthy telephone hold times.

The best way to handle adjustments when flight changes are unacceptable is to make them yourself online. The email notification you received should have contained instructions and a direct link, but if not you can log into your account and select the flights needing attention. You should see a banner that advises, "You may change your trip date/time at no additional cost if you stay inside the restrictions below." As long as you select the same departure and arrival airports, you can choose the best flights for your needs for no increase in fare.

Only if unable to make the needed changes online would you need to call and speak to a representative. I always recommend using the chat function (when available), or contacting a rep via Twitter or Facebook direct message.

Hope this helps.

johnjam101
Explorer A

Appreciate your recommendations. 

Usually works but sometimes you might need to contact. I’ve done this a number of times due to changes which I totally understand. These are difficult times. 

What amazes me is how helpful SW has been every time. 

Thank you and hang in there. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

I am in the same boat with one of my trips!! The flights they changed are *really* wacky.

--Jessica

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I was a traveler by air for years before I found out that every so often each airline updates their flight reservations for the future, even more so during this pandemic.  With that said, you (and I) should expect that based on supply and demand, (along with economics) we will e seeing flight readjustments until after the first of the year.  We all need to take it with a grain of salt.  I can say I've had multiple canceled destinations and all trips with some type of time change, including connecting flights.  Do I like it, NO, have I accepted it, Finally.

doodledm
Explorer C

Has also happened to me and the online system does not allow me to make the change myself.  They tell me this has something to do with price differences when I go in to re-book myself.  I realize they are shifting flights due to less travel, but every time I call, I can re-book on a flight that is almost identical to what "the computer" replaced with three stops and 12 hours of travel time.