Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Offered upgrade to Business Select, Got switched to WGA Plus at check out

Tibboh
Explorer B

Hi, I am wondering if anybody has had this happen to them. My first time using SW I chose a basic WGA flight and at the page just before check out I was splash offered an upgrade to Business Select for $26 or $51 round trip. Pretty good deal huh? So I selected it, confirmed, and ...  the reservation had been downgraded to WGA Plus!?

What's really troublesome is WGA Plus was being offered as an upgrade for $36 RT when I went back and checked another scheduled flight!

I've contacted CS twice, but claim they cannot go back to check out this obvious ... well, I don't want to call it a bait and switch... and I am sure it must have happened before - I can't possibly be the first.

Any other stories of this happening? Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Offered upgrade to Business Select, Got switched to WGA Plus at check out

dfwskier
Aviator A

GIven the normal price differences between WGA and Business Select on virtually all flights, I seriously doubt you could purchase such an upgrade one way for $26. That is about what you would pay to upgrade to WGA+.

So my guess is there is some type of misunderstanding.

If you are unhappy, you can cancel within 24 hours for a complete refund.

Tibboh
Explorer B

The upgrade to wga Plus was $18, $36 RT. I placed the order for the flight before Christmas but called CS - who was great - the next day after seeing what happened and was told I could receive a credit or downgrade to the current flight that had increased a bit. The $52 I was charged for the upgrade would refund me back only about $25 due to this price increase for the flight.  (I did have a brief discussion at the Boarding sub forum around that same time).

I'm feeling SW should honor the Business Select deal - plane will probably be half empty so it's no real loss - and it was their error. Or give me the full refund and I just won't take the flight; it's probably not worth the bother anyway after all that's been happening.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Tibboh wrote:

The upgrade to wga Plus was $18, $36 RT. I placed the order for the flight before Christmas but called CS - who was great - the next day after seeing what happened and was told I could receive a credit or downgrade to the current flight that had increased a bit. The $52 I was charged for the upgrade would refund me back only about $25 due to this price increase for the flight.  (I did have a brief discussion at the Boarding sub forum around that same time).

I'm feeling SW should honor the Business Select deal - plane will probably be half empty so it's no real loss - and it was their error. Or give me the full refund and I just won't take the flight; it's probably not worth the bother anyway after all that's been happening.  

You are going to need a screenshot to show them the error if that is what happened, and if you'd be getting anything from the airline due to an error. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Tibboh
Explorer B

My best proof, other than a screenshot, is the unusual upcharge above an upgrade to WGA plus for comparable flights, about $16 ($52-$36).  CS has already acknowledged this disparity when I called the following day. Others experiencing similar events is by far the best evidence of either a glitch, or manipulation. I might have a screenshot, but there's also an issue of trust, plus my future doing business with this company. I'm hoping Southwest will acknowledge this as a(notherl foul up in their system, and handle it in good faith.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Someone else reported the same thing happened to them not long ago - did you look at the flight prices independently of this offer to confirm the price difference between tiers were the same as what the pop-up shows? I think that the popup is not showing the correct pricing for Business Select - and also, flight prices change literally all the time. 

--Jessica

Tibboh
Explorer B

Not at the moment of the decision, it was late at night. I'm sure the difference between the lowest and highest tiers is more than $52 in most circumstances. However this was an outbound flight to the north during winter when inbound flights are in more demand. The airport, BWI, for the return flight was probably less busy for one way trips back to Tampa then large Metro areas. Even if it appears "too good to be true" my decision to choose it, and confront Southwest on this error, will help keep things honest for everyone else.