Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Phone #?

missestlewis
New Arrival

My current flights have dropped significantly in price and I'd like to cancel and rebook? I think that is what I need to do!?

Anyways, I want to speak to SW - how do I do that?

The phone rings once and hangs up...

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Phone #?

dfwskier
Top Contributor

You should not need to talk with anyone.

 

You should be able to do everything on line at Southwest.com 

Re: Phone #?

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Go online, use the change flight feature and "change" your flight to the exact same flight.  You'll get the lower price and have travel funds to use later.

 

--TheMiddleSeat

 

 

Re: Phone #?

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Go online, use the change flight feature and "change" your flight to the exact same flight.  You'll get the lower price and have travel funds to use later.

 

--TheMiddleSeat

 

 


I think not.

 

If you "change" a flight, the fare does not change.

 

You have to cancel and rebook to get the lower fare..

Re: Phone #?

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Since when?

That may be the case when your flight is covered by a free schedule change, but outside of that being available the change flight was always the way to do it.

 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Phone #?

dfwskier
Top Contributor

I'll defer. You might be right.

 

I was thinking about "free changes" when the airline changes stuff up and give you a chance to change on your own.

Re: Phone #?

jksobonya
Rising Star

@dfwskier wrote:

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Go online, use the change flight feature and "change" your flight to the exact same flight.  You'll get the lower price and have travel funds to use later.

 

--TheMiddleSeat

 

 


I think not.

 

If you "change" a flight, the fare does not change.

 

You have to cancel and rebook to get the lower fare..


I always "change" my flights whenever there is a lower fare, and I am able to get the lower price with the difference given as a travel credit to use later. No need to cancel the flight first. 

 

--Jessica

Re: Phone #?

jksobonya
Rising Star

@missestlewis wrote:

My current flights have dropped significantly in price and I'd like to cancel and rebook? I think that is what I need to do!?

Anyways, I want to speak to SW - how do I do that?

The phone rings once and hangs up...


No need to call Southwest, you can make the change yourself on the Southwest web site or in the app by changing your flight and selecting the same flights that now have the lower price. You will receive the difference in fare as a travel credit to use for up to one year since the date you booked (not the date you fly).

 

--Jessica

Re: Phone #?

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

The only time you should need to use cancel / rebook is if your flight is "protected" (covered by a waiver that allows no-cost changes) and you've determined that the new fare would actually be lower than the one you have OR IF THERE IS A PROMO CODE INVOLVED AND YOU HAVE A POINTS BOOKING. (See below!)

 

(Or, if you're trying to take advantage of a new promotion that requires flights to be booked during a certain time period. You would need to cancel / rebook in that case.)

 

Otherwise, the change function should work.

Re: Phone #?

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

OK -- MAJOR CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE.

 

It would appear that, with the SAVE50 sale, you do actually need to CANCEL and then REBOOK (not CHANGE) in order to receive the correct sale fares -- for POINTS bookings.

 

Because the CHANGE function doesn't allow the use of a promo code, and the promo code is needed in order to receive the sale fares on points bookings, you'll need to cancel and then use the promo code when you rebook.