Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Points cost consistently change when I try to book. Happening to anyone else.

FMC
Explorer C

I look at dollar fare then the points fare. When I try to book the flight on points, tells me "Things move pretty fast in this biz, & fares have already changed" (increased by 69 pts). I go to the previous screen of all flights which reflects the previous lower points fare. I try to book and once again get the "Things move pretty fast in this biz, & fares have already changed" notice. I check with other flights... same day, other days... same thing.  This though the Dollar cost did not change.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Points cost consistently change when I try to book. Happening to anyone else.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I had the same thing happen when I booked a points flight a few days ago.

Strange, mine also changed by 69 points.

Were you booking Dallas /Chicago

Re: Points cost consistently change when I try to book. Happening to anyone else.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I think you are on to something

I just tried to book 6 different Dallas/Chicago points flights across three days in December.

All started out at 3042 points, I got the "things change" message 6 times and the points required went up to 3111.

Is   it possible that I got unlucky enough to try to book 6 different flights across   three  different days and have the exact same thing happen 6 times?

I doubt it.

bec102896
Aviator A

That's interesting. 

I just tried a random AUS/MDW on a few dates in December and the same thing happens to me as well the only difference is some flights go up 30 points others go up 69 and it does this on non stops and flights with a connection. 

Edit: so I just tried a couple different cities from Austin (AUS/DAL AUS/MCO AUS/LAS) and they didn't have this problem. I wonder if this is an issue only happening with MDW flights? 

Maybe try reaching out to Southwest on Twitter to see if they know what's going on. 

-Blake

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

69.....hummm, maybe it's the ying and yang of the cyberspace points dark hole on SWA.  I have no idea what that means.  

With that said, I've had points, and price, change just like that because others were booking and for whatever reason an update of the system at that same time.  I never toggle back and forth anymore, just buy it one way and bank it.  

jksobonya
Aviator A

Huh. I haven't seen this prompt yet. One of my flights booked with points actually decreased by a few hundred points yesterday, so I rebooked.

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

Huh. I haven't seen this prompt yet. One of my flights booked with points actually decreased by a few hundred points yesterday, so I rebooked.

--Jessica

I think I know what was happening. The initial booking page was showing incorrect points amounts for the flights. Then when actually trying to book a specific flight the correct (higher) point total showed up.

Why do I suspect this? Well when I was trying to book DAL/MDW flights the points required was 3042, but when I tried to actually book a flight the flight required 3111 points.

Today when I looked at flights the required number of points was 3111 and not 3042.