Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re-booking after using vouchers

StLThrash
Explorer C

Hi, back in February, we booked a flight to Cancun in July, and used some LUV travel vouchers to offset some of the cost.  The cost for the 2 tickets prior to using the vouchers were $998.72.  I look today and the same flights are $540.  Is it possible to cancel and re-book and still be able to use the travel vouchers?  It would save me $458.72!  If so, what is the process to do this?  Thanks!!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Re-booking after using vouchers

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You're on the right track, but instead of canceling, use the change flight option and select the same flight that you already have booked. If you do this process on the southwest.com site using a computer instead of your phone or app you'll see the price drop shown as a negative price. You can use the app or mobile site, it just won't show the price drop as clearly. Once you complete the change, that credit will then be available for you to use as a travel fund, these are viewable in your account on southwest.com. You can repeat this process anytime the price drops.

--TheMiddleSeat

StLThrash
Explorer C

Since I was basically just trying to get a lower price on the same flights that I already booked, and not booking new flights or changing them, I had to call and talk to an agent. It did allow me to change it online but when I went to submit, it just spun and didn't do anything. The agent said that if you're basically just trying to book the same flight you already have at a lower price you have to call them.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@StLThrash wrote:

Since I was basically just trying to get a lower price on the same flights that I already booked, and not booking new flights or changing them, I had to call and talk to an agent. It did allow me to change it online but when I went to submit, it just spun and didn't do anything. The agent said that if you're basically just trying to book the same flight you already have at a lower price you have to call them.

I don't think that is true. Many times over the last few years I've changed a flight to the same flight in order to save some money. It was always done online and I never had any trouble.

casamccoy6
Explorer C

Is there a limit to the number of times you can re-book a flight using vouchers?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

No, but you have to watch the voucher expiration dte.

bec102896
Aviator A

All you need to do is click the change reservation option on the app or website and click on your flight it will then show you how much credit you would have. Click change and the credit will be held as a travel fund valid for a year from when you originally booked and the credit is valid for the ticketed passenger(s) and the credit is non transferable. 

A 2nd option is you can cancel and rebook at the cheaper price the remaining travel funds will expire on June 30th 2021 because of the current policy change. When you rebook you will use the confirmation number of the flight you cancelled. 

-Blake

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I think in either case, canceling or changing, the resulting travel fund will have a June 30, 2021 expiration. All travel funds created now will get that expiration date, at least that's my understanding of the current policy. Please correct me if I am wrong. 

--TheMiddleSeat