Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re-booking at a cheaper price

Jemeagle99
Explorer C

Prices are much cheaper now than when we booked earlier this year due to Covid-19. If we re-book a our flights for the cheaper prices and are still able to make our trip. Will our travel funds be extended to June 30, 2021 or do we have to cancel our flights for this to happen? I only ask because we may not be able to book another trip due to Covid-19 if the funds expire one year from the original date.  The reason would be work and the very good possibility that getting the time off may not be possible.

Thank you for doing what you can for your customers. Hopefully you'll extend the same courtesy (if you haven't already) to those that will still be able to make their trip but have done as explained above. Thanks again and stay healthy, stay safe everyone!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Re-booking at a cheaper price

jksobonya
Aviator A

Hi,

Here is what Southwest says on their web site regarding travel funds:

https://www.southwest.com/Coronavirus/?clk=CORONAVIRUS_TA&cbid=4348124

If you simply rebook your flight because of a flight reduction and receive travel funds, I believe those adhere to the normal expiration date. But if you cancel your flight between now and May 31, those resulting travel funds will have an expiration of June 30, 2021 🙂 

Thanks,

Jessica

Jemeagle99
Explorer C

Thank you for your reply...

That's why I'm asking Southwest  both here and in an email that I sent to them a few days ago. It will be nice if they extend it to any credit balance for any reason during this unprecedented time.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hey @Jemeagle99, I'm happy to hear you were able to grab a lower fare. As long as your new travel funds were created between March 1-May 31, 2020, they'll be extended to June 30, 2021. Sorry for the confusion!

Nicole
Community Manager

Michelle88
Explorer C

Just to be clear I booked 2/20 for a flight to Vegas 4/29. Since I booked it the flight went down so much I now have $500 in credit between my husband and I. I have had to move the trip to May if I end up going the $500 will be good until June 2021 instead of 2/20/21?

Jemeagle99
Explorer C

Correct. I'd check everyday because my flights have gone down 5 times in this past week!

Michelle88
Explorer C

Me too, I even changed our flight once to use $170 credit that we had now it's up to $500. But they keep saying I will get a revised expiration date but everytime they send me one its 2/20/21

Jemeagle99
Explorer C

I received this message directly from Southwest: 

"It will take our Technology Teams a few weeks to make these changes to the expiration date of the funds, and we appreciate your patience while our Teams work quickly to make this happen. Until the update has gone through with technology, be sure to keep track of your confirmation number in the meantime." 

Hope that helps. Stay healthy and safe!