Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rebooking Same Flight Using Different Payment

strgth
Adventurer B

Purchased Anytime (AT) one-way non-stop fare using a cc. I want to use a different cc for payment. Should I first cancel the original purchased fare and then repurchase with different cc OR should I repurchase and then cancel original? Will SW allow me to repurchase the same flight without first canceling the existing flight? Does SW look at when flights were purchased to determine who gets bumped/canceled if needed?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Rebooking Same Flight Using Different Payment

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

I've always cancelled the original flight first, and then rebooked. 

If the flight is oversold and they need to start booting, they usually go by whoever checks-in last, so try to get as close to that sweet spot (24 hrs before departure) as possible. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest no longer oversells flights. The order of operations doesn't matter if you do both transactions immediately one after another. You cannot leave two conflicting reservations booked for some period of time, one will be canceled and it's hard to say which one.

--TheMiddleSeat

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Good to know! I am so outdated on my SW booking regs. Lol.

jksobonya
Aviator A

My only word of caution is be careful cancelling a flight right now just to pay a different way, because flight prices have generally gone up and you might end up paying more than your original flight price.

--Jessica

strgth
Adventurer B
Solution

Thank you everyone. I verified before canceling the existing reservation that there wasn't a major price difference and that there were still seats left (meaning I didn't see the "X left" in red font under the price). I canceled and then rebooked with another cc with only a $.10 price increase. I was nervous but it worked! Just checked the account and the new reservation is displayed. Will check again later tomorrow.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

My only word of caution is be careful cancelling a flight right now just to pay a different way, because flight prices have generally gone up and you might end up paying more than your original flight price.

--Jessica

FYI: Anytime (and Business select) prices for the same day/flight fluctuate much less than Wanna Get Away -- if at all.

strgth
Adventurer B

Duplicate

strgth
Adventurer B

@chgoflyer wrote:

@jksobonya wrote:

--Jessica

FYI: Anytime (and Business select) prices for the same day/flight fluctuate much less than Wanna Get Away -- if at all.

Hmmmm...the summer international flights have increased by at least $60 since February for BS, AT, and WGA.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@strgth wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

@jksobonya wrote:

--Jessica

Hmmmm...the summer international flights have increased by at least $60 since February for BS, AT, and WGA.

They can be changed, but they don't fluctuate on a daily basis. I'm sure there has been a bump in the recent time period from the winter.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.