Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rebooking flights to different destination

Djp1959
Explorer C

We are considering rescheduling a trip  to Phoenix to Seattle. However when I go to the change flight option on my reservation, I am unable to choose a different location-the only options I get are other flights to Phoenix. Is it possible to make a destination change online or do we need to go through Customer service. Or is it best to cancel and then use travel funds to reschedule? thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Rebooking flights to different destination

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

After selecting the flights you want to change you should see search criteria which would include the dates and cities of the search you want to use for the new flights.  That's where you would say you want to search for SEA.  You can't change one flight of a roundtrip so make sure you select that you want to change both flights if you have a roundtrip booked.  Did Southwest recently reschedule your trip?  That's the only reason I could think of that you would be stuck with only PHX flights as they as giving you the opportunity to make a free schedule change, but limit that to the same city pair.  I can't think of anything else going on at this time that would limit you and I don't have a current reservation I can use as a test to walk through.  If you still can't get it to work you can go ahead and cancel then rebook using the travel funds.  Be aware if you have EarlyBird Check-in on the reservation cancelling the flight will cause you to forfeit the money paid for EBCI.  Changing a flight moves EBCI to the new flight.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Remember that changing a trip will require you to pay exactly the same fare regardless of whether you change an existing trip or book a new one.

Given

that, pick the easiest way to proceed.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

When you use the "Change Flight" function on a round-trip, you'll need to select both the outbound and return flight to change, otherwise the destination will be grayed out.

@dfwskier wrote:

Remember that changing a trip will require you to pay exactly the same fare regardless of whether you change an existing trip or book a new one.

Given

that, pick the easiest way to proceed.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

If you change to a more expensive flight, the system will show you the additional $ or points needed. If the flight is less expensive, the system will show you the credit you'll receive.