Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund Policy due to COVID-19 is lacking. Poor job Southwest Airlines

KC2632
Explorer C

I have always been a big Southwest Airlines fan.  Unfortunately, that has changed.  The historic pandemic that we are experiencing has wreaked havoc with both scheduled business and personal events.  I was due to fly to Phoenix in May, but my event was cancelled.  I am not sure of when I would return to Phoenix.  So #1 - Southwest should refund rather than travel bank the cancelled travel $$$ and #2 - the refund needs to include the ENTIRE cost of the flight including prepaid Early Bird Fees.  I called Southwest and then have no explanation for not refunding Early Bird Fees except to say they are non-refundable.  Very poor customer service during these difficult times.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Refund Policy due to COVID-19 is lacking. Poor job Southwest Airlines

bec102896
Aviator A

Currently no airlines are issuing refunds to credit cards they are issuing travel funds just like Southwest. 

If you haven't cancelled your flight and you plan to fly before your funds expire i would change the flight to a later date so you don't lose the EB check in. If you don't have plans to fly you could leave the flight booked and hope there is a long delay or cancellation and maybe they could work work you on a possible refund at that point in time but you would want to leave your flight booked for that to possibly happen. 

If your travel funds are set to expire March 1st-May 31st Southwest has made a policy change: Policy Update & Clarification: Extending Travel Credit and Refunds 

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

1) NO AIRLINE is issuing blanket refunds of nonrefundable tickets

2) ALL AIRLINES are giving refunds due to FLIGHTS that are cancelled

3) Southwest changed it's policy on extending expiration dates -- AND NO AIRLINE HAS A MORE LIBERAL POLICY  -- NONE OF THEM.

KC2632
Explorer C

You missed the point dfwskier.  If Southwest is not giving refunds, it should then bank ALL of the traveler's flight cost including Early Bird.  So how do YOU respond to that?  How do you defend that position?

dfwskier
Aviator A

I guess my response is that it took a while for SW to figure out what type of accomodation

it would provide, and determine how long it would take to modify computer systems to reflect the change.

The end result is the most liberal airline travel fund policy in the US. Better than American. Better than United. Better than Delta. Better than everyone else.

All airlines are just trying to survive. Yup your point is important, but it's far less important than the jobs of hundreds of thousands of people in the industry and industries than support the airlines..

Give the airlines the time to figure it out.

dmaranville
Explorer C

I couldn't agree more.  The fact that Southwest is even even considering not refunding early bird fees during this national crisis and instead attempting to make money off the misery caused by this pandemic is despicable.  Southwest was my favorite airline -- no more f they continue with this policy 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Thank you all for coming here and sharing your concerns. I know everyone is hurting, and I'm so sorry if we've been letting you down throughout these unprecedented circumstances. While we are not making exceptions to refund nonrefundable fares canceled by our Customers, I urge you to contact Customer Relations to discuss your individual situations if Southwest canceled your reservation or you have associated EarlyBird Check-In. It's important to note that our Customer Relations Department is a different Department than 1-800-I-FLY-SWA. While Customer Relations phone lines are not open on weekends, they respond on Facebook and Twitter 24/7/365. Thank you.

Nicole
Community Manager