Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund Promised, Undelivered

ozzieahlers
Explorer C

We are seniors and following statewide Covid-19 warnings, we canceled our May 17, 2020 trip to Puerto Vallarta on Mar. 27,2020. I called SWA asking for the airfare to be refunded to my Visa. Southwest claimed they were still able to provide the flight, so it would be held by them as a credit. We can’t afford a future credit. We need the funds now. I spoke with management, and they said until SWA is unable to provide air travel, they could not refund our payment.

We received their letter canceling the travel to Puerto Vallarta on May 17, 2020. According to SWA policy, they are unable to provide our travel and we should be grandfathered into the full refund policy. 

We are seniors who are affected financially by the pandemic. We needed the money Southwest is holding to pay our expenses. We couldn't afford to make future travel plans, so I went for the ask. After numerous "policy" refusals, on April 7 they finally relinquished and sent the letter to refund to my credit card, which I had paid in February. I was told to wait 30-60 days. I called weekly after that, on 1 hr+ holds, no answers, only "we apologize", "we're sorry." It has been 100 days and no refund. Other airlines (Delta and Alaska) were able to issue credit in 2-5 days. No problem. Southwest claiims they are deluged with refunds, but everyone else is and manages. They are clearly running a scam to retain our travel funds for months, claiming the "overburdened" excuse.

They are able charge us in 2 minutes, but refunds can take 120 days? Southwest will be sued for this practice in the next 30 days. Watch for the news. They may have to close down, so get your "credits" quickly. The run will be quick and hard. Southwest will not cause any more hardship to our lives.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Refund Promised, Undelivered

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Quick question: Was this Southwest Vacations perhaps?

DOGLOVER1234
Explorer C

The same thing just happened to me.  I made a reservation for me and a friend to go to las Vegas May 31st.  Las Vegas was not open, and they said but we were still flying there.  Idiots!

Anyways my friend is 75 years old and I can go to Vegas but her doctor will not let her travel anymore.

When I called to get a refund, the agents, both time was a male, said "well she has until 2022 to use the voucher". REALLY ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  She will be 77 years old and you want her to die on your plane?  what is wrong with Southwest, you can't refund $257.00? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DOGLOVER1234 wrote:

Anyways my friend is 75 years old and I can go to Vegas but her doctor will not let her travel anymore.

When I called to get a refund, the agents, both time was a male, said "well she has until 2022 to use the voucher". REALLY ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  She will be 77 years old and you want her to die on your plane?  what is wrong with Southwest, you can't refund $257.00? 

Southwest has announced that it will let people convert travel funds into RR points. That person can then use those points to buy tickets for anyone -- anyone. That's what your friend will be able to do.

I'm afraid that is the best deal in the industry right now, and no airline is refunding non refundable tickets.  At least Southwest is providing some flexibility in the matter.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

The option to convert travel funds to Rapid Rewards points is now live in the My Account section of the SW website!

convert.JPG

-A List, Companion Pass holder

jksobonya
Aviator A

@DOGLOVER1234 wrote:

Wow, let's not get hysterical. September 2022 is actually very generous and gives plenty of time to use your travel funds - that's more than 2 years away. No one is dying on planes. And as others have said, no airline is refunding nonrefundable tickets ("Wanna Get Away" fares in Southwest's case) when you cancel your own flight. This is the risk you take when you book the cheaper, nonrefundable fare. The exception to this rule is if Southwest cancels your flight - *then* you are eligible for a refund if you so desire, but you must contact them and request one. 

All the information regarding Southwest's already flexible policies regarding travel funds and cancellations can be found here: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/purchasing-and-refunds/refund-info-pol.html 

--Jessica