Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund an upgraded ticket

aurorafdz
Explorer C

Hi all, I am changing my flight from Baltimore to Long Island due to work conflicts. I’m going to upgrade to a higher fare in case my work requires me to stay the full weekend. If this happens will the full fare be refundable or just the upgrade fee? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Refund an upgraded ticket

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

"Southwest flight credit from a previous reservation that is applied toward a Business Select or Anytime fare will be refunded as a flight credit."

https://mobile.southwest.com/fare-rules

Since Southwest does not have change fees, would it be cheaper for you to just change your flight to whatever flight you actually want and pay the last minute fare than purchase another fare type, especially since you already have a good portion of the fare locked in as nonrefundable? If you need to stay the weekend just cancel your original itinerary and make a new reservation with a WGA fare for when you actually want to fly. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Refund an upgraded ticket

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

"Southwest flight credit from a previous reservation that is applied toward a Business Select or Anytime fare will be refunded as a flight credit."

https://mobile.southwest.com/fare-rules

Since Southwest does not have change fees, would it be cheaper for you to just change your flight to whatever flight you actually want and pay the last minute fare than purchase another fare type, especially since you already have a good portion of the fare locked in as nonrefundable? If you need to stay the weekend just cancel your original itinerary and make a new reservation with a WGA fare for when you actually want to fly. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Agreed - you're committed to the amount already paid towards a WGA fare. Do you think the project would cancel completely and not require the trip? Otherwise if you are pretty sure to fly go ahead and change it. If the WGA cost is close to the Anytime cost then sure, get the Anytime if your reimbursement rules allow that. (Or Business Select for the maximum points.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.