Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund for ticket

Brandybrown33
Explorer C

My brother was planning to travel to Hawaii but due to covid the mandatory 14-day quarantine has been extended. Why won’t southwest return these funds to me? Instead they are saying he has 2 years to use the credit. We could all be dead in 2 years. Seems like they would understand there’s a pandemic. He’s out of work and could really use the cash instead of a credit good for 2 years. I use southwest often but not after this

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Refund for ticket

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

None of the major airlines are currently issuing refunds because the customer cancels the flight. If the airline makes a schedule change to the flight or cancels the flight all together then they would be entitled to a refund to the original form of payment. 

If you would like to see about an exception to the non refundable ticket policy you could reach out to Southwest though one of these contact methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

-Blake

gsking
Aviator C

Why was he going to Hawaii if he has no job and couldn't afford the ticket?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Why was he going to Hawaii if he has no job and couldn't afford the ticket?

Presumably the ticket was purchased before the pandemic caused his job loss.

gsking
Aviator C

No, he only decided not to go when the quarantine was extended.   So as written  he'd still be going if he could do fun things.  

Sounds like he's not too broke.   Yet SWA has to change their rules for him?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

No, he only decided not to go when the quarantine was extended.   So as written  he'd still be going if he could do fun things.  

Sounds like he's not too broke.   Yet SWA has to change their rules for him?

I think you're reading way more into things than were stated.

gsking
Aviator C

No, I'm reading EXACTLY what was stated.   You are the one making assumptions.   

But you're probably right.   I'm assuming people are smart enough to maintain logic,  state things clearly, understand rules and follow them.   Current modus operandi is to make a stink online whenever things don't go your way.   At that point, facts are merely roadblocks.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

No, I'm reading EXACTLY what was stated.   You are the one making assumptions.   

But you're probably right.   I'm assuming people are smart enough to maintain logic,  state things clearly, understand rules and follow them.   Current modus operandi is to make a stink online whenever things don't go your way.   At that point, facts are merely roadblocks.

Given the dearth of facts in the original post, I think it's ironic that you find no roadblocks to making your assumptions.

Note that earlier my statement said "presumably." 

I consider it the height of hubris for anyone to say they know exactly what is going on from a single post.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Brandybrown33 wrote:

My brother was planning to travel to Hawaii but due to covid the mandatory 14-day quarantine has been extended. Why won’t southwest return these funds to me? Instead they are saying he has 2 years to use the credit. We could all be dead in 2 years. Seems like they would understand there’s a pandemic. He’s out of work and could really use the cash instead of a credit good for 2 years. I use southwest often but not after this

If you haven't cancelled yet, don't. If Southwest cancels you are entitled to a full refund. Just remember to cancel at least 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure if the flight isn't canceled prior to then.

Travel funds are only usable by the original passenger(s). At least they've been extended until September, 2022 -- normally they expire one year from the date of purchase.

If you are only able to receive travel funds, Southwest has announced that soon they will offer the ability to convert those into Rapid Rewards points. He could then use those points to purchase tickets for anyone. While it's "officially" against Southwest policy, perhaps he could purchase someones ticket for them and receive cash reimbursement from that person.