Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund on United

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I had a flight scheduled with United in June (Southwest doesn't fly to Vancouver). My flight was canceled by the airline. No notice. Nothing. They just gave me credit without telling me. I contact United via Twitter, and they tell me to contact Westjet since it was their metal. When I point out that it was a United ticket, they tell me that everything is okay because they have given me credit. When I said I wanted a refund, they told me that they were giving me credit. When I told them that the DOT guidelines said that I could get a refund, they said that I needed to fill out a request form. When I asked where to find the form, they sent me the link. Nothing on the webpage except the ability to use credit for a new flight. When I pointed this out, they said they would fill out a request for me, but that it would take at least 21 days. When I then said that was not timely, they told me that it was 21 business days, and that it would probably take much longer because there was a very big backlog.

All of that was over Twitter. With Southwest, one Twitter message, and I got a refund 3 days later. Okay, one time, it took two Twitter messages because they asked for some identifying information beyond just confirmation number once.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Refund on United

dfwskier
Aviator A

Things I've heard seem to indicate that United is giving it's passengers a harder time on things like rebooking, refunds - most things tied to the result of he virus - than Southwest - not that Southwest hasn't been beaten up by the flying public, too..

You seem to confirm that.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I think all airlines are sadly in the same situation when it comes to refunds. They don't want to give them if they don't have to. Honestly, I understand it, but people are still entitled to them if the airline cancels their flights. As for me...I have around $300 in credit that I'm going to keep for the future. Hopefully I'll get to fly somewhere this year!

--Jessica

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Southwest has never given me a bit of hassle in getting a refund. In all the cases that I have asked for one, I have gotten it in 3 days. DOT guidelines are 7 business days. When I pointed that out to United, they said it would take more than 30 days.