Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Reminder: Cancel your flights by Sunday

gsking
Aviator C

Don't forget to cancel upcoming flights by Sunday if you want the expiration date of the funds rolled to 2022 by Monday. 

Then you have until December to decide if it want to convert them to points.   Probably only a good idea if you want to use them for other people than yourself.   

Correct me if my logic is flawed. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Reminder: Cancel your flights by Sunday

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Don't forget to cancel upcoming flights by Sunday if you want the expiration date of the funds rolled to 2022 by Monday. 

Then you have until December to decide if it want to convert them to points.   Probably only a good idea if you want to use them for other people than yourself.   

Correct me if my logic is flawed. 

I was actually just about to compose a new thread to say the same thing. 😉

In addition, if you have any travel funds that currently expire after September 7, 2020 (but have not been extended to September 7, 2022), you have the same time frame in which to use them towards a new flight, and then immediately cancel that flight. Doing so will extend their expiration through September 7, 2022. (The extension will be applied overnight.)

One other note: After September 7, 2020, if you apply any 2022 expiration date funds towards a new flight, and then end up cancelling that flight, those funds will now expire one year from the date of the new booking (no longer usable through 2022).

bec102896
Aviator A

Also if you have a LUV voucher you want extended you can book a flight and cancel it by September 7th and that voucher will become a travel fund that you can turn in to points or a travel fund that is valid until September 7th 2022. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Probably only a good idea if you want to use them for other people than yourself. 

From several other posts earlier In the pandemic there are a lot of stranded travel funds for businesses that don’t expect to travel or have turnover and need to use a pathway like this to reclaim/hold the funds. Hopefully they saw this!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

cathleen02
Explorer C

Does the flight need to be before Sept 7?  I have flights for 10-2 that I want to cancel, will I still get the extended credit if I cancel today?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@cathleen02 wrote:

Does the flight need to be before Sept 7?  I have flights for 10-2 that I want to cancel, will I still get the extended credit if I cancel today?

If the flight was before September 7 (today), it would have already been cancelled and the funds extended (or the funds forfeited due to no-show).

I believe you can still cancel today and receive the extension, but I'm not positive. Cancelling yesterday, as recommended, would have been ideal.

Southwest has worded their notification loosely, so it's a bit unclear:

Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022.

If you do cancel today, please let us know if your funds' expiration date updates overnight to the 2022 expiration.

Your other options would be to wait and 1) see if Southwest cancels your flight(s), in which case you could receive a refund, or 2) see if Southwest extends the coverage period for cancellations that receive the extension -- although there is no guaranty that this will happen. (In fact, Southwest has made no announcements suggesting it will.)

Good luck!

cathleen02
Explorer C

I called customer service to clarify and they said as long as I cancel today i will get the credit extension until Sept 2022.  Starting tomorrow it goes back to 1 year from date of purchase.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@cathleen02 wrote:

I called customer service to clarify and they said as long as I cancel today i will get the credit extension until Sept 2022.  Starting tomorrow it goes back to 1 year from date of purchase.

Thanks for that info. Please do let us know if the funds update overnight. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I got most of them done.  Thanks for the reminder.