Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Rental car prices

gsking
Aviator C

@dfwskier wrote:

@gsking wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

Costco is my go-to, they have free cancellation up until the pickup time, second driver is included in all states (specifically for Florida already includes spouses automatically), and choose from four major brands side-by-side, and you still get regular loyalty points with the agency. It’s usually a pretty good discount too. 

Agreed.  I always check Costco, and then the Budget app directly.  Just checked Florida for April and Budget was cheaper.  No need to prepay with either, so no cancellation issues.

I've never found a good deal through SW unfortunately.  As with the hotel bookings, you pay a premium to get the SW points bonus, and it's usually nonrefundable.  Good if you absolutely need the points and are booking last-minute, but rarely worth the cost/risk otherwise.

I presume you access he special offers button which provides discounts above the prices shown when pricing cars? When I do that, the prices seem about equal to those offered directly by rent car companies.

I just did... through the website since it didn't show up on the app.

Price was $370 through SW and $189 through Budget.   Ouch.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

@

Since you did 't list dates or city, I can't tell what you did, but here's what I found

For a 3/1 to 3/8 Budget economy rental at COS (listed so anyone can replicate my results)

From SW (using special offer)  $180+tx   2400 RR points (worth maybe $36)

From Budget: $199.99+tx  (179.99 pay now)  not 2400RR points

From Budget using "special discount"

179.99+tx  (161.99 pay now) not 2400RR points 

I didn't try any other dates or places. This was my first and only attempt at the exercise

gsking
Aviator C

@dfwskier wrote:

@gsking wrote:

@

Since you did 't list dates or city, I can't tell what you did, but here's what I found

For a 3/1 to 3/8 Budget economy rental at COS (listed so anyone can replicate my results)

From SW (using special offer)  $180+tx   2400 RR points (worth maybe $36)

From Budget: $199.99+tx  (179.99 pay now)  not 2400RR points

From Budget using "special discount"

179.99+tx  (161.99 pay now) not 2400RR points 

I didn't try any other dates or places. This was my first and only attempt at the exercise

Aha.  So I guess I have a good corporate code that gives me lower prices than that (and free cancellation).  That's why it usually was worse through SW.  I put that code in now and got the same rate.

We'll see if I get the points now...and hopefully with the bonus.  Am waiting for Budget to reply about the previous rentals.  I might need every point to get CP this year.

rich1954
Adventurer A

I believe you can use corporate codes on the SW site.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@DancingDavidE are you saying you can get SWA loyalty points with car rentals from Costco or Costco points?  (I'm not a Costco member but wife is) 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

@DancingDavidE are you saying you can get SWA loyalty points with car rentals from Costco or Costco points?  (I'm not a Costco member but wife is) 

Yes, whatever earning method you have setup whether in the car rental program or swapped to SWA points and earning towards status for number of rentals and days. It’s more like a discount code. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I'll add my voice to:

• Checking Costco if you have access
  • Checking on booking directly with the company.

Also, do you have any type of discount thru your company benefits?

Finally, FL is pretty "open" right now; a friend of mine just flew there and back on SW with completely full flights. Demand is likely higher there than in many parts of the country. Supply and demand (as was mentioned) may just make this an it is what it is situation.

Let us know what you ended up doing, @rich1954!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

rich1954
Adventurer A

Unless prices in Orlando drop drastically in the next 2 weeks I will end up using my former employers corporate code. I am going for 22 days and will end up paying $732. Last year I went for 21 days and paid $550 with no code. Booked through Dollar in 2020, using Enterprise this year.

Rental car prices

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@rich1954 

Here is what I do.  (Maybe I should spill the beans on here)  But here is what I do.  

I go to the SWA Rental Car selection and do a normal rental request and see just exactly what the top 3 rental car companies are and write them down.  I then go to those 3 companies in the DEALS and see what the Corporate or rental special code is for renting with them.  I then actually go to each of those 3 airlines websites, (which all already have my rewards connected to SWA)  and do a car rental and enter that code.  I ALWAYS get a cheaper price than from SWA website rental car option.  Sometimes it's been as much as $30 cheaper.  And if I'm sure I'm getting that rental, each of the home car rental website has two options, PAY NOW and pay later.  The pay now will even net you another saving of 15-30 dollars.  

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I then actually go to each of those 3 airlines websites,

that should actually say, I go to those 3 rental car company websites.