Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Reservation Question- I think I got lucky?

ouerica
Explorer B

I changed a reservation today to a different flight, same day, just time change. It shows to be about a + 10k point/price difference but the total change was 0. Did I just get lucky? I need to understand this. lol 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Reservation Question- I think I got lucky?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Your reservation most likely qualified for a free change due to schedule adjustments. There was probably a small banner message stating that when you went to view your reservation. If you quickly clicked the change flight link you could have easily missed it.

--TheMiddleSeat

ouerica
Explorer B

Ok! Thank you. I didn't even realize that was a thing. I will look closely next time. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Here's an example from the app. Top of the screen when viewing an existing reservation. 

20201021_204212.jpg

And on the following screen...

Screenshot_20201021-204436_Southwest.jpg

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The big red banner and copy show up on the app, the banner on the desktop is less obvious and much easier to miss. 😉

ouerica
Explorer B

That makes sense, I was on a desktop so I bet I missed it. 

bec102896
Aviator A

At 6pm Southwest put out a waiver for some November and December dates which allows anyone to change their flights for free. I've noticed the last 3 weeks the waivers run Wednesday evening till Sunday night. In your case I guess you were just lucky you changed when the waiver was in place. 

The nice thing is now you have an extra 10K points to book your next trip! 

ouerica
Explorer B

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know WHY they do this? 

bec102896
Aviator A

Usually they do these waivers when they are making massive schedule changes. I'm not sure why they let everyone make changes even if their flight won't be affected but I know for those who are affected changing with the waiver is way easier than other airlines where you may have to call and wait hours for help. sure in some cases you will have to call SW for help but at least the waivers make it easier for changing online. 

Personally I'd like to know how much money SW loses when they do these waivers because anyone with a flight (new and old booking) during the waiver dates can change for free. I'm guessing at some point in the next year or 2 they will have to change how they handle these systemwide waivers. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ouerica wrote:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know WHY they do this? 

Not sure what you mean by "do this."

If you mean changing your flight at no cost, it is simply the airline recognizing that some flights are being disrupted, and is trying to be customer friendly.