Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Reservation confirmed, but not charged by SW

SupaDave
Explorer C

I booked a one way ticket about 3 weeks ago via Apple Pay on the SW app, and everything went through smoothly. I received my confirmation number and my single use debit card I used via Apple Pay was charged (pending).

the problem is a few days later the charge disappears, and as of today (3 weeks later) still no charge for the ticket. With my ticket still active in the SW app, as well as confirmed via SW support agent. 

I don’t want to show up to the airport and be turned away for my ticket not actually being paid for. Has anyone experienced this before? 

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Reservation confirmed, but not charged by SW

dfwskier
Aviator A

Several people have reported various problems using Apple Pay, but your is the first of this type I have heard of. Most of the time the problem has been that a reservation did not go thru, but the charge remains pending for a long time.

Could the charge just be ending somewhere else? Is there a way for you to escalate via Apple Pay?

IMO, you have good reason to  be concerned. If the charge really did not go thru, I have to believe that at some point either Apple Pay or Southwest figure out the reservation was not paid for and the thing gets cancelled.

What would I do? I guess I would cancel the existing reservation and then book it again. Hopefully the fare has not increased. Before trying that, you could just contact SW, explain the situation, and see what Southwest says...

If rebooking, don't use Apple Pay again.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SupaDave wrote:

I booked a one way ticket about 3 weeks ago via Apple Pay on the SW app, and everything went through smoothly. I received my confirmation number and my single use debit card I used via Apple Pay was charged (pending).

the problem is a few days later the charge disappears, and as of today (3 weeks later) still no charge for the ticket. With my ticket still active in the SW app, as well as confirmed via SW support agent. 

I don’t want to show up to the airport and be turned away for my ticket not actually being paid for. Has anyone experienced this before? 

You are saying that the debit card still has all of its funding on it?

How soon is your flight - you won't have to show up at the airport and find out, you should find out when you go to check in at T-24 hours.

Assuming you can check in, then bring the debit card to the airport where they can take payment from there if needed. 

I wouldn't cancel anything if you need that to stay in the system to document your original cost. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SupaDave
Explorer C

Correct. My bank doesn’t have the charge on it so all for 3 weeks now.

flight is not until May, but I did purchase early bird so I’ll know within 36hrs.

concerned that if I’m not able to check in,

it would be too short of notice and will have to find/pay for another flight if sold out. I have friends on the same flight as we’re all going out of country on vacation. 

I really just want to make the payment and be done with it, but SW has not been able to assist (can’t blame them). 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SupaDave wrote:

Correct. My bank doesn’t have the charge on it so all for 3 weeks now.

flight is not until May, but I did purchase early bird so I’ll know within 36hrs.

concerned that if I’m not able to check in,

it would be too short of notice and will have to find/pay for another flight if sold out. I have friends on the same flight as we’re all going out of country on vacation. 

I really just want to make the payment and be done with it, but SW has not been able to assist (can’t blame them). 

Although your position is reserved at T-36 hours you still can't retrieve your boarding pass until T-24, so that will still be when you find out.

How far are you from an airport? This almost sounds like something to stop in and check in person if it's not too far out of the way. it would help a lot to have someone looking at the system that you can talk to live. The phone agents must not run into this scenario very often. 

Otherwise I'd try the twitter team to see if they can dig a little deeper on it, find out what happened to the payment. Make sure that if it isn't cleared that you can pay the current amount that day in person if it doesn't work.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

emason1216
Explorer C

I'm having this issue. Used apple pay received confirmation and reservation still shows in app.  What ended up happening? 

bec102896
Aviator A

@emason1216 wrote:

I'm having this issue. Used apple pay received confirmation and reservation still shows in app.  What ended up happening? 

Does the app allow you to change the reservation? Maybe try changing the flight to the same flight (sounds weird I know) if it says $0 to see if it lets you. 

Vgkmeach
Explorer C

What ended up happening? Were you able to fly?

Vgkmeach
Explorer C

?

Chayli9196
Explorer C

I had the same exact thing happen to me!  I booked a flight on 6/15 using Apple Pay, received my confirmation via email and the reservation shows confirmed on the SW app.  The transaction was showing pending on my card and I went in today to pay it off the transaction was gone.  I contacted the card issuer and I was told the transaction wasn’t finalized. I contacted SW and was told it was finalized on their side therefore the reservation was confirmed and ticketed. At this point I’m not sure what to do. 

Were you able to get the issue resolved prior to your trip? What was the outcome?