Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Return flight cancelled - no notification from SW

laleoni
Explorer C

I went into the app today to add early bird check in for round trip flights between Boston and Orlando. My return flight was no longer in my reservations. I went into the online chat and did get a helpful representative.  I had a direct flight mid afternoon booked - but the only options she could give me were very early morning non-direct that would take 6-8 hours.  I asked about a flight into Providence and was able to get a direct flight, but again very early morning.  I am super frustrated that they can just cancel flights and not inform you. Perhaps if they had notified me there would have been additional options for me to choose from. 
Does this frequently happen?  I am just questioning flying SW in the future. 
I am a school teacher and unfortunately have to limit trips to school breaks so I don’t have flexibility with dates. I booked these flights in September for April break.   
my family now has to leave our hotel at 3:00 AM to  fly home - not a great ending to our vacation. 
How can this happen with no notification?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Return flight cancelled - no notification from SW

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Change notifications are emailed out, but do often go into spam folders.  Southwest did have to do another round of flight changes and when that happens you have the ability to keep whatever change was made, pick another option, or cancel and get a refund back to your original form of payment.  Thankfully these changes have been occurring much less often than in the past couple of years.

--TheMiddleSeat

laleoni
Explorer C

I checked my spam folder - and nothing!  They did email me about a time change for my departure flight - but nothing about the cancelled return flight. I only noticed because I went into my account so I could get the flight info to arrange my transportation from/to the airport.   
This is very poor practice!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry you ran into trouble.

Sometimes systems do break down. Most of the time they work fine, but occasionally stuff like this happens.