Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Round trip booked Thur - Sun; can I book a 1 way back Monday just in case?

jimmerpro
Explorer C

Hi. 

I have a round trip booked Thur - Sun in early Nov (Dallas to Fort Myers).

If I decide to stay an extra day before I go, can I book a 1 way back Monday while it's cheap?

I don't want to risk my round trip being cancelled if their system sees this as double-booking......

Thanks.

Jim

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Round trip booked Thur - Sun; can I book a 1 way back Monday just in case?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Yes you can! I have done this several times myself. Just be sure to cancel the flight that you wont be taking at least 10min before departure so you don't lose those travel funds. When you cancel the funds will be available for use for a year from when you originally bought your ticket. 

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Identical routings on different days are never viewed as double bookings.

Identical bookings on the same day - not so.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I just did that this weekend with an RT from ABQ to DEN.  I also got a Monday flight just in case.  The thing is, as soon as you know, get rid of the one you don't need so SWA has a chance to sell that seat.  

bbland
Adventurer C

We book everything as One Way tickets and often book multiple days to and from a destination when flights are cheap.  

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

It also solidifies that you get the best price.  I'm TORN, in how much I do that right now because I want SWA to survive this situation we are in.  But in the past weekend, I had actually gotten the round trip in May, and since then things changed.  It was a great move based on the weather and canceled flights out of Denver on Sunday evening.