missestlewis
Explorer C

Where do we even put the code?!

Re: SAVE50 promo

jksobonya
Aviator A

@missestlewis wrote:

Where do we even put the code?!

There is a promo code field right on Southwest.com or in the app when you click "Book flight." Here is a screen cap from Southwest.com. 

jksobonya_0-1623783986591.png

--Jessica

gsking
Aviator C

The code didn't do anything for me.   O got the same sale prices either way. 

But yes,  you put it in on the first page. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You don't need to enter the promo code for cash fares during the sale period, but you do need to for points bookings. Enter the code on the main Southwest webpage, right under the dates of travel. You can verify the sale price: you'll see a higher price with a strike-out, and the lower price shown. Yes, base fares did increase overnight (some significantly) but there are still some good deals to be found, especially near the end of October (in my research -- ymmv depending on routes).

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Just a note that if you're trying to refare any existing flights to take advantage of the sale, you'll need to CANCEL and then REBOOK using the promo code, not just use the CHANGE FLIGHT function.

This is verified on Points bookings, it may or may not apply to cash ones (I'm unable to verify).

The CHANGE function doesn't allow the use of a promo code, fyi.

lunchflyer
Explorer C

It does show the fare/points with the strikeout showing the half price, but when you actually continue on the purchase, the fare/points revert to original.   Just a heads up.  I've emailed Southwest since there is a two hour wait period for phone calls.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

The code didn't do anything for me.   O got the same sale prices either way. 

But yes,  you put it in on the first page. 

Travel between 9/15 and 11/3 - only

jksobonya
Aviator A

Last day of the sale, and flight prices have jumped significantly today.

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

Beware Jessica. It may not be a good deal.

Flight prices for the time period are much higher than for late August (at least for the routes I looked at). Southwest will reduce those prices at some point because it will sell no tickets at that level. My guess is  it will reduce prices to the late August level or maybe even lower. Why? Very few people fly  during that time. It's a dead season.

For example, the best DAL / MDW price for late August is $79. The lowest price for the same flight starting mid September  - using the discount code - is $80

Of course you can book, and if the price drops. you can change your flight, and pocket a travel fund.

I will wait until my expected price drop for the time period happens.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Beware Jessica. It may not be a good deal.

Flight prices for the time period are much higher than for late August (at least for the routes I looked at). Southwest will reduce those prices at some point because it will sell no tickets at that level. My guess is  it will reduce prices to the late August level or maybe even lower. Why? Very few people fly  during that time. It's a dead season.

For example, the best DAL / MDW price for late August is $79. The lowest price for the same flight starting mid September  - using the discount code - is $80

Of course you can book, and if the price drops. you can change your flight, and pocket a travel fund.

I will wait until my expected price drop for the time period happens.

I was looking for flights to TUL in October and prior to today roundtrip was $400 - I can get the same flights today using the promo code for around $225. Works for me 😉 Tulsa will never be that low normally!

Same with Vegas and their ridiculous prices as of late from PHL ... one leg alone is $400-$500 (Nov 1 going home) - with the code it's cut in half. 

--Jessica