Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SW Credit Card

efeuer777
Explorer A

Great offer but....I keep thinking in years past I have applied for and received the bonus even though I had a current Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card. I have applied for a new card every 24 to 25 months and as soon as I receive the new card I cancel the old card. Is this a recent change?

75,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $3,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening:
The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: SW Credit Card

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Not a change as far as I know.  You can only carry one personal card so you would need to cancel an existing personal card before applying for a new one.  You can have one personal and a business card and receive sign up bonuses for each of them while holding the other so perhaps you were rotating those?

--TheMiddleSeat

efeuer777
Explorer A

Yep, I think you are correct. Thanks!

jksobonya
Aviator A

This is a very tempting offer, info here: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/AEP75kPlus1122?REF=FULLSITE&CELL=6PLV&cbid=6851070&clk=68... 

You have until 12/5 to apply. 

I might have to apply myself! I just don't know if I will be able to spend the $3K in 3 months - I assume if you fail to spend that much, you won't get the bonus points, but you'll get everything else in the offer. 

Do the anniversary points that you get every year count toward A-List/Companion? 

--Jessica

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jksobonya you do still get all of the other benefits if you don't meet the spend required for the bonus, BUT I would say it's not worth it if you don't plan to meet the spend bonus. The bonus is where you really get value from the credit card.

The anniversary points are lumped in with the monthly points from spending so they do qualify for Companion Pass.

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@jksobonya you do still get all of the other benefits if you don't meet the spend required for the bonus, BUT I would say it's not worth it if you don't plan to meet the spend bonus. The bonus is where you really get value from the credit card.

The anniversary points are lumped in with the monthly points from spending so they do qualify for Companion Pass.

--TheMiddleSeat

OK, cool. I assume that 75K in points are not TQP ... you'll just get them in your RR bank. 

I also noticed that TQP for A-List/ALP has this quirk on the EOY earning page regarding when points post: "Within 30 days of the statement closing date, after spending $10,000." 

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

For Companion it doesn't say anything about a 10,000 spend. So does that mean you don't get any AL/ALP TQP points for the first 10K of spend on your card?! That's ... a lot of lost points lol. I know most people are going for Companion anyway, but I'd be happy just staying AL year after year lol, Companion feels like a long way off for me even with the card. 

--Jessica

jksobonya
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

OK, cool. I assume that 75K in points are not TQP ... you'll just get them in your RR bank. 

I also noticed that TQP for A-List/ALP has this quirk on the EOY earning page regarding when points post: "Within 30 days of the statement closing date, after spending $10,000." 

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

For Companion it doesn't say anything about a 10,000 spend. So does that mean you don't get any AL/ALP TQP points for the first 10K of spend on your card?! That's ... a lot of lost points lol. I know most people are going for Companion anyway, but I'd be happy just staying AL year after year lol, Companion feels like a long way off for me even with the card. 

--Jessica

It turns out, I misunderstood this entirely. Any points you earn with a RR CC go towards your Companion Pass balance and your general RR balance - not your A-List balance. The only CC points that count for A-List are 1,500 points per 10K spend. That's it. So the card is really only beneficial for Companion Pass and increasing your RR balance. 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

Jessica, if you are short, you could just buy enough gift cards that get you to the spend requirement.

efeuer777
Explorer A

When I was younger, all this made sense. Now that I'm old and retired with lots of time to travel, I tend to confuse myself.

I just canceled my credit card that I received a points bonus on January 15, 2021. I plan to apply for a new credit card on December 1st and charge some in December and January. The remaining balance of the $3000 I'll charge to the card in February. That should qualify me for the 75,000 points regardless of the closing date. Have I thought this through correctly? Thanks!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@efeuer777 if it were me I wouldn't apply until 24 months after receiving the last bonus, but your plan should work. I just wouldn't want to give Chase an excuse to deny me the bonus.

--TheMiddleSeat