Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SW Vacations package cancelled our Jamaica trip and we were never notified!

cactusrose
Explorer C

We had booked a Southwest Vacations package to Jamaica after the first of the year.  Paid in full.  Had our resort, flights, and travel insurance all included.  We were departing from Phoenix, AZ . We were to leave this morning (May 3rd)  from Phoenix to Montego Bay with a stopover in Houston. Yesterday I went to check in and it stated that there was no such flight!  Immediately my husband started calling Customer Service and also the separate number for Southwest Vacations.  They informed him that a corporate decision was made on MARCH 17th to discontinue flights/packages to Jamaica!!   NO ONE FROM SOUTHWEST AIRLINES OR SOUTHWEST VACATIONS EVER CONTACTED US!!! 😲😠  We slipped thru the cracks!  They apologized all over the place and had no idea how that happened.  They couldn't find any flights (even other airlines) to even still get us there.  I think other cities might have been cancelled for this flight route also.  If we had been informed in March, we probably could have re-booked our vacation to another destination!!!  To make matters worse....this trip was to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary!! 😫  They said they will issue a full refund and inform the resort that it was them who cancelled, not us. Hope this is true and that we don't have to fight with the resort also as they have a penalty charge for late cancellations.  I would also like to know how to go about submitting a letter to the airline (Customer Service?) asking for compensation (like two free vouchers for new flights) for ruining this most special important event of celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary.  We even had special arrangements made with the resort for a special private dinner on the beach at sunset with a musician.  We are both so devastated, depressed, and angry that this happened.  No excuse.  I understand that many airlines are cancelling flights due to not having enough ground crew etc. but to not inform us at all when they had cancelled our package over six weeks previously is beyond understanding.  Does anyone here think that asking for two free tickets is too much to ask?  I just don't want a: "Sorry for your inconvenience.  Here is a $100.00 voucher for future travel".  How should I go about contacting them? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: SW Vacations package cancelled our Jamaica trip and we were never notified!

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Well, that sounds downright awful. What a way to ruin your 50th wedding anniversary. I am truly sorry to hear that you are going thru this.

Southwest Vacations (AKA Apple Leisure Group) has a terrible reputation of screwing it's customers, You are just the latest.

Southwest Vacation is a totally different company than Southwest Airlines, and it sounds like Southwest Vacations is the one that messed up things for you. The airline had nothing to do with your situation and is not responsible for it, thus I doubt that you'll be getting any free tickets from the airline. I know that is not what you want to hear but it is unfortunate truth.

I hope your travel insurance will make you whole, and I also hope that you are able to make some kind of trip that salvages something from this horrible situation.

cactusrose
Explorer C

Thank you!  We are still going to try to get some sort of compensation.  If I ever knew it was APPLE  (although when investigated, the company that SW lists as it's 3rd party under Southwest Vacations)  had another name with several other 3rd party booking companies listed as part of it.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Apple Vacations was bought by Hyatt. I'm a Hyatt Globalist, and I can tell you from personal experience that Hyatt is an exemplary company. I do not understand why they haven't cleaned up this $%&* show yet.

jj1814
Adventurer C

I don't understand their response because they are, at this very moment, offering vacation packages to Jamaica on their site.