Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA is not refunding any nonrefundable fares, stop calling the 800 number!

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

SWA is not refunding any nonrefundable fares, stop calling the 800 number!

Everyone trying to get a refund on their nonrefundable fares needs to stop calling the 800 number, it's not going to happen unless SWA changes their policy and you are making it hard for people that need to talk to someone at SWA.

Maybe SWA will change their policy, but I doubt it as there are no travel restrictions in the USA.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: SWA is not refunding any nonrefundable fares, stop calling the 800 number!

dfwskier
Aviator A

To add ro that, NO AIRLINE is refunding non refundable fares - yet.

Keep watching to see if that changes. My guess is that if one airlines starts  the process, others will.

SW has never charged a fee to change or cancel your flight. Other airlines are now finally adopting Southwest's policy.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

People may still want to call and cancel or change flights. While the reservation may be nonrefundable, people can still receive travel funds for future flights if they cancel. Yelling at people and telling them not to call doesn't help them. Yes, most cancelations or changes can be completed online, but some people prefer to call.

--TheMiddleSeat

Papajshell1
Explorer C

I called the 800 number because I wanted my money back and not a future voucher!  I always fly SWA, however, I wanted a refund back to the original form of payment because the birthday party scheduled in Buffalo this Sunday was cancelled due to the Coronavirus pandemic so me and my family cancelled our trip there. The remaining tickets will not be needed in the future, therefore, a refund is preferred but not available or offered. Other airlines are offering refunds and I think SWA should be too under the current health conditions. My family members will not be using their vouchers within the allowed timeframe. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Papajshell1 wrote:

I have to correct something you said because it is wrong; airlines ARE NOT offering a blanket

refund for  non refundable tickets. 

Southwest has never charged a fee to change or cancel a flight. Other airlines are now following Southwest's policy. Further NO AIRLINE has said anything about extending expiration dates on their various versions of travel funds.

The exception to the above happens if your flight get's cancelled, and SW put you on a different flight. If that happens, you can get a refund.

My advice to you: do not cancel your flight right now. Wait until the day before your flight to see if it get's cancelled or the policy changes. If the policy changes or your flight get's cancelled, then you can get a refund. If neither of those happen, cancel then. You won't be any worse off than you are right now.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Agree, no airline is offering cash back on a nonrefundable ticket. Once conditions return to normal you'll have travel funds to purchase another ticket. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Survivorgal62
Explorer C

I agree about the nonrefundable WANNA GET AWAY tickets.  I also do not want to use travel funds anytime in the next year due to this virus.  I am in a high risk category because i am over 55 and have underlying health conditions, including a weakened immune system due to breast cancer and lymphnodes removed.  I hope SWA will soon realize our concerns are hopefully issue full refunds.    

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Survivorgal62 wrote:

I agree about the nonrefundable WANNA GET AWAY tickets.  I also do not want to use travel funds anytime in the next year due to this virus.  I am in a high risk category because i am over 55 and have underlying health conditions, including a weakened immune system due to breast cancer and lymphnodes removed.  I hope SWA will soon realize our concerns are hopefully issue full refunds.    

In my opinion, it's very unlikely that Southwest will offer refunds as a matter of policy, despite the unique circumstances we are now facing. I am hopeful however that Southwest will make accommodations regarding ticket expiration, which would allow customers an extended period in which to use tickets/travel funds.

It is possible to Southwest may make individual exceptions to policy based on extenuating circumstances such as health issues. You would need to reach out to Customer Relations to make such a request, but I strongly advise waiting for now, until the volume of requests subsides. In addition, policy may also change before your travel dates.

flowersun77
Explorer C

So I know the tickets are non-refundable but the wording is a little strange and my question is if my ticket was $300 and I book at a later date and the new ticket is $200 do I get the $100 credit left on my account for future use or is this just a ticket trade off kind of thing?

bec102896
Aviator A

@flowersun77 wrote:

So I know the tickets are non-refundable but the wording is a little strange and my question is if my ticket was $300 and I book at a later date and the new ticket is $200 do I get the $100 credit left on my account for future use or is this just a ticket trade off kind of thing?

You can use the travel funds until they are all gone or until they expire whichever occurs first. So you could book 5 tickets if you wanted and had the funds to do so. 

-Blake