Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA reversal on not refunding "Early Bird" costs

cactusrose
Explorer C

SWA has apparently reversed it's policy of not refunding/crediting any cost of booking "Early Bird" of your reservation that you cancelled due to the coronavirus.  I had cancelled my reservation that was to fly roundtrip from Phoenix to Cancun on May 4th - 12th.  I tried but this post won't allow me to post a "copy and paste" link of the article. 

They now say that you will get a voucher for the cost if you contact SW by phone (yeah right!) or by contacting "Customer Service".  Well there isn't any info./update even remotely mentioning this voucher when you click on that contact!  Not even on their "Coronavirus Updates" link. 

Does anyone have any clue as how to get a this credit voucher for the "Early Bird" add on that I had on my reservation ($100.00!!)?  Has anyone else tried or even received one?  Is the only recourse to be on hold on the phone for 10 hours? LOL!

15 REPLIES 15

Re: SWA reversal on not refunding "Early Bird" costs

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, you can now obtain a LUV voucher for the amount you paid for EarlyBird Check-In if you cancelled a flight.  You can call Southwest, contact them via live chat within the Southwest app, or via private message on Twitter (@SouthwestAir).

--TheMiddleSeat

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

We never want our Customers to feel like they have to jump through hoops to get in touch with us, and we're sorry for letting you down, @cactusrose. You'll need to contact our Customer Relations Department regarding your EarlyBird. The fastest way to get them is either social media or by phone. 

Twitter: @SouthwestAir

Facebook: @SouthwestAir

Phone:  1-855-234-4654

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager

cherylwaag
Explorer C

I called customer service twice today and was told NO - they would not refund/credit anything.  EBCI was non-refundable.    

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'd recommend contacting via e-mail - print a screenshot of what you send for your own records.

click on contact us below to see how to do that.

The airline is supposed to

1) automatically refund EBCI when the airline cancels the flight

2) Provide a voucher in the amount of the EBCI amount when the passenger cancels ; note you may have to insist on a voucher instead of RR points,

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@cherylwaag wrote:

I called customer service twice today and was told NO - they would not refund/credit anything.  EBCI was non-refundable.    

Unfortunately, you need to contact Customer Relations, not customer service. From the above post:

You'll need to contact our Customer Relations Department regarding your EarlyBird. The fastest way to get them is either social media or by phone. 

Twitter: @SouthwestAir

Facebook: @SouthwestAir

Phone:  1-855-234-4654

SWDigits
Aviator A

This thread highlights the issue that Southwest communications are not clear and consistent.  It is disappointing, you shouldn't have to be a forum regular to know what resolution options are available.

Customer | Home airport DCA

SWDigits
Aviator A

@cherylwaag try to get in touch with them on Twitter or Facebook, folks seem to get good results via those channels.  The "Customer Relations" team has a different phone number, see a few posts up in the thread, that is also an option.  I personally would use the Twitter or Facebook options.

Customer | Home airport DCA

Marcoreesun
Explorer C

Same here. I booked a vacation through southwest vacations. Tried getting them to refund my early birds. They said no way and I’d need to contact the airline. SW airlines (not vacations) told me no way. No refunds. This was 2 days ago. 

The hotel is refunding the hotel room. Southwest Vacations said I can’t get the refund for the hotel. Hotel told me all I can do is file a complaint with the department that manages their vendors because I should get my money back. Southwest Airlines told me too bad and I have to deal with Southwest Vacations. 

All said and done Southwest and Southwest Airlines took me for over $2200 collectively. They hit us hard at the worst time when we were most vulnerable. 

cactusrose
Explorer C

Since SWA announced it's reversal on their "no refund" policy for their "Early Bird" and now WILL give refunds in the form of a voucher, I contacted them last week to apply for mine.  Well I received an email reply today and this is part of what they said: 

"Thank you for reaching out to us. I understand that you canceled your reservation due to your concerns about traveling at this time.  I regret any disappointment that we are unable to refund your non-refundable EarlyBird Check-In purchase. That said, as a gesture of goodwill, we are sending you a $100.00 Southwest LUV Voucher (SLV). The voucher will be sent in a separate email and should arrive within the next 30 days. While SLVs cannot be used toward the purchase of EarlyBird Check-In, we hope that you will use the credit toward the purchase of a future flight with us."

SWA......What?  Really?  Your airline just recently 
REVERSED your policy on the "no refunds for the Early Bird" option"!!!!!!   Haven't you (Customer Relations) been informed of this yet???  Yeeeesh!  Thank you, but this voucher is what is  owed me, (according to your new policy).....not  a "gesture of goodwill"!