Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: SWA reversal on not refunding "Early Bird" costs

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@cactusrose I don't believe there has been an official policy change, just a temporary adjustment allowing refunds in the form of a LUV voucher. You got exactly what you wanted, yet you still want to complain about it. Southwest didn't owe you anything.

--TheMiddleSeat

cactusrose
Explorer C

I was trying to show their messed up communication.  For such a big company, they state one thing and then in an email reply state another.  Their online communication to the public stated there was a change (excuse me....I failed to insert the word "temporary") to their no refund "Early Bird" policy, but yet they were going to do me a favor and gift me with a voucher??   

The title of this thread relates to this "Early Bird" change so that is why I posted and stated what I did.  Do all of the posts here have to sing SWA praises???  Have a good day.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@cactusrose wrote:

I was trying to show their messed up communication.  For such a big company, they state one thing and then in an email reply state another.  Their online communication to the public stated there was a change (excuse me....I failed to insert the word "temporary") to their no refund "Early Bird" policy, but yet they were going to do me a favor and gift me with a voucher??   

The title of this thread relates to this "Early Bird" change so that is why I posted and stated what I did.  Do all of the posts here have to sing SWA praises???  Have a good day.

So did you cancel your own reservation?

A simple yes or no answer is enough.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@cactusrose wrote:

Since SWA announced it's reversal on their "no refund" policy for their "Early Bird" and now WILL give refunds in the form of a voucher, I contacted them last week to apply for mine.  Well I received an email reply today and this is part of what they said: 

"Thank you for reaching out to us. I understand that you canceled your reservation due to your concerns about traveling at this time.  I regret any disappointment that we are unable to refund your non-refundable EarlyBird Check-In purchase. That said, as a gesture of goodwill, we are sending you a $100.00 Southwest LUV Voucher (SLV). The voucher will be sent in a separate email and should arrive within the next 30 days. While SLVs cannot be used toward the purchase of EarlyBird Check-In, we hope that you will use the credit toward the purchase of a future flight with us."

SWA......What?  Really?  Your airline just recently 
REVERSED your policy on the "no refunds for the Early Bird" option"!!!!!!   Haven't you (Customer Relations) been informed of this yet???  Yeeeesh!  Thank you, but this voucher is what is  owed me, (according to your new policy).....not  a "gesture of goodwill"!

YOU cancelled your flight, and SW DID change it's policy for people who cancel flights.

Here's the SW policy

If your flight is cancelled, you are eligible for both a fare and EBCI refund. Same as before the virus.

If YOU CANCEL your flight, you get a travel fund for your fare, and you get a voucher for the amount of your EBCI. Prior to the change, EBCI was non refundable 

So it sounds like SW is actually doing what it said it would do.

tkb89
Explorer C

Upon reading of the temporary reversal of the policy, I emailed SWA requesting a voucher for my early bird fees.  First, I also received the same email as posted by the previous user, however, that email was followed up with an email stating that I was mistaken in thinking that the policy had been reversed and was told I was denied the voucher.  Being told no after being told yes is unprofessional and frustrating, and seems to go against the revised policy.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@tkb89 wrote:

Upon reading of the temporary reversal of the policy, I emailed SWA requesting a voucher for my early bird fees.  First, I also received the same email as posted by the previous user, however, that email was followed up with an email stating that I was mistaken in thinking that the policy had been reversed and was told I was denied the voucher.  Being told no after being told yes is unprofessional and frustrating, and seems to go against the revised policy.

You were denied a voucher?

Try reaching out one more time, but to the Customer Relations department (not the regular customer service staff). You can reach them quickly via Facebook or Twitter private message. Good luck!