Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Should we need to Quarantine for 1 day trip Niagara from FL?

sathyas2012
Explorer C

Hi, Should we need to quarantine if we do trip MCO-> Bufalo and returning next day itself?

The 14 days self quarantine order says any individual travel within 24 hours quarantine not required. We dont want to stay 14 days for a day trip at Bufalo and would like to return back to FL on the next day. can you please confirm  if this possible?  Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Should we need to Quarantine for 1 day trip Niagara from FL?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You should consult with your local health officials who put the quarantine order in place. 

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

You would need to stay quarantined the entire time you are in Buffalo, and agree to quarantine once you arrive back home for the remainder of the 14-day period.

The "less than 24 hours" exceptions only apply to essential workers, or those who are passing through or on lay-overs.

The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.

Otherwise, what you want to do isn't currently possible under the quarantine order unless you are ready to falsify answers on the required New York State Traveler Health Form (or risk a $2000 fine for not completing it), and/or risk being subject to a civil penalty of up to $10,000 or imprisonment up to 15 days.

Full info here: COVID-19 Travel Advisory

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

this is just me, but any movement from one place to another for any amount of time is risky.  Is 14 days extensive, yes, even I think so.   I traveled and upon my return spent 3 days in a hotel away from my wife as a precaution, because I care.  after that went home and distanced for several more days.  No, not the 14, but at least I made that effort.  To each his own what you chose to do. I live in a state not as dire as the state of NY.  So if I was there, I might have a different attitude.  Be safe.