Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Since When Did SWA Start Sucking So Badly

WheresFrida
Explorer C

So.  No.  This isn't a joke but a serious question.  When did this airline turn into a hot steaming pile of junk-  a shadow of its former self? Im old enough to remember when you could literally pick up the phone, dial the 800 number, and you would get a human being to answer the phone. That was what I absolutely loved about the airline -  the personal touch.  The fact that it was a Texas thing that felt like Texas, whether you picked up the phone to call to make a change, check on a flight...whatever.  When did this all change?  Was it gradual or was it all of a sudden? As I'm sitting here on a *no kidding* SIXTY THREE MINUTE ESTIMATED HOLD TIME (no option to leave a number for call back, too, so, thanks for that), I've placed my entire life on hold so as to communicate with a human being at what was once a place I could call and speak to someone if not immediately, but soon thereafter.  Ive put my life on hold long enough to research SWA's board of director's salaries (over $20million for the top positions), Googling "Why does SWA suck so bad" (and read a bunch of similar complaints, btw), found this board, logged on, created an account, everything.   All while waiting to talk to a human being and the song "Someone that I used to know" mentally replacing the annoying as heck Muzak soundtrack that narrates my hold time.    HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS JUST DISCONNECTED ME. NO FREAKING LIE.  IVE BEEN WAITING 35 minutes AND YOU JUST HUNG UP ON ME.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Since When Did SWA Start Sucking So Badly

jksobonya
Aviator A

Most people have learned not to call and instead contact Southwest via social media. Much faster response - welcome to the Internet age!

--Jessica

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Love when people look for "why does xxx suck" and are surprised to see lots of results.  People online love to complain about everything and you rarely see love notes.  Satisfied customers (the majority) tend to be very quiet.

You didn't indicate what you are trying to accomplish, but often things can be done online without calling.  Sure, it's not the "personal touch", but most people would take the trade off of being quick.  Not hiring as many people also keeps prices lower and helps the company stay in business.  I'd take that trade off.

--TheMiddleSeat

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Delta hold times are topping 8 hours now. I just read an article about that. Perhaps the better question is "Why do all airlines suck?" If you start reading hotel discussion groups, airline won't sound so bad. At least airlines aren't franchised. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Customer service costs companies money, so the less people they employ the better. Southwest joined the race to the bottom many years ago, but on the positive side they lag behind some competitors.

-- Utilize the website or app whenever possible.

-- Reach out to Customer Relations via Twitter or Facebook direct message if necessary.

-- Call only as a last resort.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Customer service costs companies money, so the less people they employ the better. Southwest joined the race to the bottom many years ago, but on the positive side they lag behind some competitors.

-- Utilize the website or app whenever possible.

-- Reach out to Customer Relations via Twitter or Facebook direct message if necessary.

-- Call only as a last resort.

+1

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

SWA really does not suck. Price average.  Night and day flights are offered. 

The planes are safe as boeing is on par with Airbus. As long as you have your confirmation numbers all changes free expect fare difference. 

jewellrunner
Explorer C

Any of you who recommend reaching out via social media have tips to get an actual response and not just the automated one? I never get a response on Facebook and don't have Twitter.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest is overwhelmed and understaffed right now. Not an excuse, just a fact. They reduced staff during the pandemic, and haven't built that back up. Then they had multiple days of system outages, so the hits just kept coming.

They've eliminated the direct phone line to Customer Relations, so the only way to contact that department is via Twitter or Facebook. (They've also eliminated the ability to create a new post on their Facebook page, presumably so that agents can focus on direct messages.)

Some people are reporting quicker responses via Twitter, so creating an account there may be beneficial.

There are people reporting never receiving a response (except for the auto-reply) while there are people reporting a quick reply, so it's unclear what method they're using to prioritize requests (if any).

You could also use the "email" reply form.

Unfortunately, this is just how things are post-pandemic. To my eyes, the state of "customer service" across all industries is woefully inadequate.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

I am sincerely sorry for the frustration, @WheresFrida. In order to avoid layoffs during the pandemic, Southwest offered early retirement and voluntary separation programs that have unfortunately resulted in inadequate staffing now that travel demand has picked back up. We are working to get these openings filled, and sincerely apologize that we're falling short of your and our expectations for Customer Service. 

Nicole
Community Manager