Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Airlines Changing Flight Date with just an Email Notice. UNACCEPTABLE. OR Acceptable

Glodiaz0802
Explorer C

Good afternoon 
 I booked a flight for an upcoming destination wedding back in January, and I have been receiving a couple of emails with a flight number change.  A couple of days I received another email; however, my date of the flight was changed by the airline.  I feel it's UNACCEPTABLE for this type of change to be made.  In calling customer care, I questioned the change and was told the airline does this if they do not need flights for that day.   In requesting my date to be changed back the agent told me this would be my one-time change at no cost, and the account would be noted as such....How can this be if I didn't request a change in the first place!!   All I did is change it back to the original booking I made.   DISAPPOINTED in how this has been handled over ALL!!    

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Southwest Airlines Changing Flight Date with just an Email Notice. UNACCEPTABLE. OR Acceptable

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

When Southwest makes a change to your itinerary you are given one opportunity to make any changes you would like for no charge.  This could include moving to a different day, going from a flight with a stop to non-stop, or perhaps you found a different time that works better for you.

You can certainly change your flight at any time, even if Southwest doesn't adjust your schedule, but you would pay for the difference in fare between your original reservation and the new reservation.  The agent was just referring to the fact that you do have an opportunity for a free change since your schedule was adjusted.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Southwest Airlines Changing Flight Date with just an Email Notice. UNACCEPTABLE. OR Acceptable

dfwskier
Aviator A

@

When SW changes a flight, it gives the passenger one free chance to move to something better. That's what happened t you.

If what you pick is changed, you'll get another free chance.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Southwest has been making changes due to increasing/decreasing demand for over a year now in response to the pandemic. If your flight changed, you can rebook free of charge within 72 hours of receiving your e-mail about this change (the e-mail even says this). 

--Jessica

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I've actually been late over the 72 hours and decided to try anyway.  BINGO, whomever the operator was doing that for me.  I didn't want to get on here to make a big deal of it as a great CRelationship brag because I don't know if that would get them in trouble.  Since it's about 2 months ago, now I'm posting it. Most of these complaints could be resolved if they would contact CR, or "going to the top" first.  Most want to rant, then get good suggestions, and, wow, a remedy they wanted happens.  I think it takes more time to make a profile and then get on here and rant than it does to get a reply from CS.  But that's just me.

Disneymom2twins
Explorer C

They did this to me and didn't even notify me!  I'm on hold right now trying to get it fixed.  This is insane,  they changed my departure airport to one over 8 hours and 500 miles away! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Disneymom2twins I've provided suggestions in response to your other post.

--TheMiddleSeat