Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest Airlines LAST MINUTE flight cancellation

dfwskier
Aviator A

@tf1078 wrote:

I just got news my flight that's been booked over a month returning home on Christmas so the roundtrip part was rescheduled. LESS than 12 hours before the flight was supposed to take off. No where to stay, no where to go and the biggest heartache is my family and I will be not be together tomorrow. I guess SWA wants me to stay on the streets for 3 days. Never again

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Southwest is not in control of acts of God. Neither are American, Delta, United, Alaska, Spirit, et all. That's why over 10,000 flights have been cancelled, affecting over a million travelers, since Wednesday.

It isn't just you and Southwest.

Hope things improve for you.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I believe that what is going on with Southwest now will be come to be known as the full employment act for lawyers into the next decade.

3-10
Adventurer C

Except it wasn’t an act of God by the 23rd. The airlines per flightaware were fine by the end of the 23rd. It wasn’t only SWA that had the problems. 

Spirit, the worst airline ever has been out performing them by 1/3 the number of cancelarios. 

Since Friday the cancelation rate at Delta and United was in single digits. Why not SWA? Sure isn’t an act of God. 

LawsuitforSW
Adventurer C

Exactly 

LawsuitforSW
Adventurer C

Yes it is southwest actually,  other airlines are not having problems to this extent. 

3-10
Adventurer C

You know, according to the DoT, if they cancel the flight, you are entitled to a refund:

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/flight-delays-cancellations

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/complaint-process

if they refuse to refund you, file a complaint. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@3-10 as noted above... use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message requesting a refund. It's pretty straightforward

--TheMiddleSeat

3-10
Adventurer C

I was informed by the clerk that it is SWA policy to only issue credits. I don’t want an email saying a credit has been issued and then be ignored on the refund. 

SWA has absolutely ruined my loyalty. I wasn’t a super frequent flier (2-3 times a year), but I always flew with SWA. I read the history of SWA being an in-state airline years ago and being able to skirt DoT regs. 

Zero flights went to my destination today, but they waited till 2 hours before my flight, literally checking-in when the flight was canceled. Someone should be fired for being so incompetent. They knew DÍA was cancelling virtually all their flights, but didn’t bother to give a heads up. 

I’d get if it was going to be fixed tomorrow. I’d had that happen to flights, but Thursday night? That isn’t weather, United offered me a ticket tonight, I just couldn’t afford $1500, since SWA refused my refund at the counter. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

To clarify what themiddlseat said

The default position for all airlines in these situations is that airlines offer a credit. You then have to tell the airline you do not want a credit, you want a refund --- and you will get one.

3-10
Adventurer C

Why the hell cant the people at the airport do it? 

Why force me to call which doesn’t work or to chat, which also doesn’t work. 

I’m about to dispute my card, it is absolutely ridiculous.