Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest Airlines LAST MINUTE flight cancellation

dfwskier
Aviator A

@3-10 wrote:

Why the hell cant the people at the airport do it? 

Why force me to call which doesn’t work or to chat, which also doesn’t work. 

I’m about to dispute my card, it is absolutely ridiculous. 

You don't have to call or chat.

You could also e-mail or use twitter or facebook. "contact us below" gives details. Social media links are on near the bottom right of the page.  

3-10
Adventurer C

Okay, I did last night. Where is my refund so I can get on a competent airline to try to salvage my Christmas. 

Oh, that will be up to 7 days for a response. 

Awesome advice there buddy. Way to get me the help I need to fix my Christmas. 

This should have been handled my the clerks, but no. They are sticking with credit only and forcing people to call or chat to get refund. 

That email is a blackhole where SWA can ignore it till it won’t matter anymore. 

LawsuitforSW
Adventurer C

That doesn't work

LawsuitforSW
Adventurer C

No its not have you tried lately?

Nikki2023
Explorer A

I sent a complaint on their website.  I've been flying SW for years but this is unacceptable. Here's what I wrote - I did get a refund but they didn't bother to notify me that the 3rd and final flight I tried to board was canceled:

To whoever is working here today: I spent 10 hours in LAX Christmas Eve this weekend waiting for a plane that never arrived. My 4:45 pm flight to SJC was canceled. I rebooked on a 7:45 pm flight to SFO. That was delayed until midnight when 175+ tired people were told that the pilot was on the ground in Vegas and would be there in 45 minutes. So we waited, only to find out that a flight attendant had ended her shift and was unable to fly so this flight was canceled at 1 a.m. I was then rebooked on the last flight 1602 to SJC for Christmas Day at 8:00 pm. Mind you, on Christmas Eve I received text messages regarding the flight delays but they were all inaccurate. On Christmas Day I only received one, saying the flight was delayed to 9:47 pm. Rather than trust the text messages, I relied on the SW website and a flight-tracking app for guidance. The flight app was the most accurate. It showed that only a handful of flights left the LAX SW terminal yesterday. My flight on the SW website showed delays beginning at 11 a.m. I didn't even bother to go to the airport because guess what? It was not only canceled but deleted from the SW website later in the day as if it never existed. The flight app also showed that other airlines were in flight so the weather couldn't be the only issue since my flight was literally less than an hour in California. I've got friends who were in NYC who made it home for Christmas. What gives? The Customer Service numbers don't work, I can't log on to the website because it says "Please try again later". Your napkins say Southwest is all about transparency. Well, I didn't see any of that this weekend. All I saw were a lot of sad faces when you ruined passengers' holidays. 

Osterdc
Explorer C

I had a similar experience today flying out of New Orleans to San Diego. I checked my flight 10 minutes from the airport which was 1:15 from takeoff. It said on time. After I went through security I checked for the gate on it said canceled which was about 50 minutes before takeoff. You mean to tell me they didn’t know before then that the flight was canceled.

I tried calling my A list number and couldn’t get trough, I kept getting disconnected soI was forced to stand in line waiting to speak to a gate agent. After one hour and 40 minutes of standing in line they announced that the computers were down and they had no idea when they would be back up so they couldn’t help us. I continued calling Southwest and finally got through after two hours of trying. The agent said the flight crew for my flight got stuck somewhere else and couldn’t get to New Orleans so they canceled.

Here’s the unbelievable part. The agent said the earliest he could get me and my wife on a flight was very late Friday night transferring through Dallas and getting in at 11:15 pm in San Diego.

Today is Monday that’s 4 days from now and I get in at 1:15 am New Orleans time !!!

This is outrageous. Who’s paying for my accommodations for 4 days? Who’s paying the four days fee for boarding our pets ?

I have been a loyal Southwest A list customer for 20 years and this is how I get treated..

I’ve never been so disgusted with how I’m being treated by this airline in my life. I read where Southwest canceled 2,700 flights today while no other airline canceled more than 500. Why is this airline so messed up right now? Some people need to get fired over this. I understand weather problems but in my 50 years of flying I’ve never seen anything like this where it takes 4 days to get you on another flight.. Something stinks to high heaven on this. Southwest is using weather to cover up some serious problems they are having. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear this is happening to you.

The problem is you have tens of thousands of people like you that need to get on planes to get somewhere, BUT those planes that will fly are  already full of booked holiday travelers. Huge problem.

Southwest can't just snap it's fingers and create new planes and/or new crews. Given all of the above, that means that some people will likely experience lengthy delays in getting to where they want to go.

I have to admit a 5 day delay seems pretty extreme.

People cancel/change flights all the time. That opens seats all the time. Keep checking Southwest.com  to see if anything sooner opens up. Some seats will become available. If that happens SW lets you do a no cost switch to snag that seat. 

Check frequently as there are lots of people like you that will be looking. Seats that do open up will likely not be available for long.

Good luck.

karenj17
Explorer C

You can no longer rebook online. I just get error messages. My only option would be to start a new reservation. The problems keep changing and getting worse. The only rebook option is going to an airport gate station, apparently. Phone lines are down.  

KellySouthwest
Explorer C

I feel the same way.  My flight which isn't until 2 days from now is canceled. I am assuming they bumped me to rebook others.  I feel that is unacceptable. Very discouraging for any future flights.  

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Months out we were told, (advised) that this would be one of the busiest flying seasons in many years.  Weeks ago, we were told that a winter storm blast was heading to the majority of the country.  That's all I have to say about that.