Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Bump

wisgary
Explorer C

First of all let, me say loud and clear that I am a HUGE fan of Southwest!  However, I am disappointed with what has happened to me.  

On 12/11/2020, I booked a one-way flight from Denver to Milwaukee using Rapid Reward Points for flight #2852 scheduled on 3/13/2021.    On 1/27/2021 I received an email from Southwest that the flight number and timing had changed from what I originally had chosen.  The new travel times were fine with me.  I believe this change was made as a result of Southwest consolidating flights.

Now on 2/4/2021 I received an email from Southwest saying that my itinerary was changed yet again, to the morning flight that same day.  That flight time doesn't meet my schedule needs.  I called Southwest today and was told that I was bumped as the flight was overbooked.  Given that I booked this flight almost two months ago, I don't understand why I was chosen to be bumped.  

Are you bumping me because I booked this flight with Rapid Rewards points?  It doesn't feel like the Rapid Rewards Program is being very loyal to me a dedicated customer (referred to as family on your site).  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Southwest Bump

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

First, you won't get an official reply from Southwest here, this is a customer to customer forum.  Second, I can't say for certain, but I suspect the information you were given about bumping was incorrect.  It's more likely that additional schedule changes occurred, just like they did for the first change you received, and your flight was therefore adjusted a second time.  The other possibility, which I don't think is likely, is the scheduled aircraft was changed to a smaller one which would necessitate reaccommodating some passengers.   The way to determine this is to check if your original flight is still scheduled, but listed as sold out, when you try to make a reservation.  If there is any actual logic to who gets moved to other flights Southwest is not likely to share it with the public.

Since your flight was changed you can choose another flight that works better for you or cancel.

--TheMiddleSeat

wisgary
Explorer C

Thanks I didn't realize that this was not a Southwest response board.  The plot thickens on this.  My original flight that I was bumped off of, now has availability at a much higher fare.  I called Customer Service tonight and was told she couldn't do anything as I already made a change to the ticket and the "waiver" was no longer available.  (I made the change because I only had 3 days to do so).

So she suggests I send a message to Southwest from the "Contact Us" page.  I'm not letting this one go as I had a legitimate ticket which they changed and now I can't get my original itinerary back.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@wisgary wrote:

Thanks I didn't realize that this was not a Southwest response board.  The plot thickens on this.  My original flight that I was bumped off of, now has availability at a much higher fare.  I called Customer Service tonight and was told she couldn't do anything as I already made a change to the ticket and the "waiver" was no longer available.  (I made the change because I only had 3 days to do so).

So she suggests I send a message to Southwest from the "Contact Us" page.  I'm not letting this one go as I had a legitimate ticket which they changed and now I can't get my original itinerary back.  

You'll likely need to speak with Customer Relations, not the regular phone line, as they may be empowered to help you. It's worth a shot anyway.

Contact Customer Relations 

(I recommend via Facebook or Twitter direct message.)

wisgary
Explorer C
Solution

Good News!  I called Southwest Customer Service this morning and the representative was able to change my reservation back to my originally chosen flight with no fees to me.  It pays to call multiple times until you get someone who has ability to help you.  

Thank you Southwest Airlines!  I still LOV you!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Glad it worked out @wisgary

As was mentioned below, I've learned that when I need anything beyond making a reservation (which I generally do online), I reach out to the social media team. Those customer relations folks are so very helpful, and they are always helpful in problem solving.

Plus it saves a phone call (or three) and wait times.

-A List, Companion Pass holder