Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Cancelled a leg and now does not want to refund or make good on a travel credit.

Acdunaw
Explorer C

Southwest sent us an email explaining that two weeks before our April 29th departure to Belize that they were no longer servicing our return flight of Saturday travel. Too late to make changes with our working companies, the three of us are expecting to be able to rebook for different dates or at least get a refund. 

We submit an email requesting the same price for different dates and the email says wait 7 to 10 days for a response.  Now a month later when trying to re connect with Southwest Help desk and after failing to get credited for another flight to a different destination for two of the three people affected by the change, none of us are able receive a refund or compensation of travel vouchers. This after 10 hours of calls and in person contact with reservationists between the three of us.  

Is there anyone in this company who is held to any accountability for resolutions. It's not like we are trust fund babies or our millions make millions - I'm a hard- working person that has to scrimp and save for two years to be able to afford to fly somewhere. If I ever get a resolution, I can almost guarantee that I will never make the mistake of booking with an immoral airline or travel place that is not forthright in their business dealings if I can help it.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Southwest Cancelled a leg and now does not want to refund or make good on a travel credit.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

I'm sorry for your troubles. Have you tried Twitter? A DM can help.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

Re: Southwest Cancelled a leg and now does not want to refund or make good on a travel credit.

Acdunaw
Explorer C

No, I haven't tried Twitter but I'll try almost anything at this point. What does DM stand for? When my part of the world was able to afford technology the most social people had ever been was via Instant Message and email. Before the AOL/Time Warner Merge back at dial up.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Acdunaw wrote:

No, I haven't tried Twitter but I'll try almost anything at this point. What does DM stand for? When my part of the world was able to afford technology the most social people had ever been was via Instant Message and email. Before the AOL/Time Warner Merge back at dial up.

DM stands for direct message.. As opposed to posting to twitter in a way that everyone can see what you say, you Direct your Message  t to one specific person - thus protecting any sensitive information.

jksobonya
Aviator A

...an immoral airline 😂

When Southwest makes schedule changes as you have described, they should send you an e-mail outlining the change. In regards to a cancellation, I am surprised they did not try to rebook you on a flight that left the next day automatically. 

Considering your trip was back in April, it has already happened - in fact it happened months ago. So what was the resolution? How did you get home? When did you get home? You say 2 of 3 people were "affected by the change" so did Southwest actually book you on a different flight? If this is the case, you should have received an e-mail about the change and you should have been able to make a free flight change to whatever other flight(s) you wanted at no cost to you. 

Waiting over a month for a resolution does not make sense, but I am not sure what you want. Southwest changed/cancelled your flights, and you still made it home (presumably) - flight changes have been par for the course for over 2 years now due to fluctuating demand and schedule changes. If Southwest completely cancelled your flight and did not rebook you you may be titled to a refund or compensation, but if they rebooked you and you took those flights, you are not entitled to a refund. 

--Jessica

Acdunaw
Explorer C

We never flew, but it was originally booked for Costa Rica last year when that country closed borders due to Covid. 

They gave us travel credit which 2 of the 3 tried to use for Hawaii tickets later last year but they wouldn't apply the credit because the original tickets were purchased for 3 people on the account of the person not traveling to Hawaii in December. I had to dip into savings to pay that one off after the fact of booking via online with the travel credit code. So the 3 of us rebooked BZE for April but two weeks they cancelled return trips on Saturday's from BZE. They never rebooked us on a different day but two weeks is not near enough time to make changes with one of our employers to have even started the travel. As far as re booking the flight we wouldn't mind trading for different flight dates now but none of the representatives say they can sign off on the price difference. We had roundtrip for $512 ea. and now the price for the same destination is triple. We would have gladly accepted refunds but they aren't refunding or giving us credit(s), merely saying wait 7 to 10 business days and now a month later, trying to talk to any dept. about what is going on is siphoning time out of life.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm completely puzzled why you have waited so long to seek a resolution for this. I believe you submitted your original inquiry via written message and I strongly suggest you stick to written messages instead of calling. Sending messages referencing your previous messages (date, reference number, etc) allow the matter to be investigated. That cannot be done if you call and you won't have much success calling and demanding answers. 

Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Acdunaw
Explorer C

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try this.