Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Cancels flight then charges more to rebook

jeng2251
Explorer C

Today I received an email that Southwest cancelled my flights in August. There were no flights coming back from my destination and my dates are not flexible. I found another flight leaving out of a different airport but obviously  the tickets were more money. I waited on hold for 1 1/2 hours before I spoke to somebody. They told me since I am not flying out of the same airport they could not help me. It was not my choice, there were no return flights! So it is costing me over $400 more and their response, sorry...

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Southwest Cancels flight then charges more to rebook

bec102896
Aviator A

I would reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 or reach out on social media (Facebook or Twitter) maybe they could help. 

-Blake 

LindaB
Explorer C

I have the same problem. The email I received says I can rebook online or on the app "at no additional cost" but both charge me the difference in ticket prices, which is $650. The chat bot cannot help. The customer service line is useless. I waited on hold and got disconnected repeatedly yesterday. Usually I was disconnected at the 2 hour mark, but last night I was on hold 37 seconds short of EIGHT HOURS. What is wrong with SW? This is NOT consistent with their previous reputation. They have changed into a nightmare organization. Suggestions?

Matt4202
Adventurer A

I would skip what the other poster said and speak only to their Executive Office in Dallas. If you google their number to SW Executive Office you'll find it. They are open 8am-5pm Central Time. Good Luck

Definitely a better shot than regular customer service as they have limited options available while Executive Office can do anything, either cover your flight with the original funds or issue a LUV voucher for the difference.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

I would skip what the other poster said and speak only to their Executive Office in Dallas. If you google their number to SW Executive Office you'll find it. They are open 8am-5pm Central Time. Good Luck

Definitely a better shot than regular customer service as they have limited options available while Executive Office can do anything, either cover your flight with the original funds or issue a LUV voucher for the difference.

I'm not sure what phone number for the "executive office" you mean... but as suggested, Customer Relations (not "regular customer service") is empowered to do anything the situation requires.

LindaB
Explorer C

Except that customer relations seems to be an empty room with ringing phones. I waited on hold almost 8 hours last night and was finally disconnected without speaking to a rep. Someone somewhere at SW is laughing at how gullible we all were, thinking that they were still the same airline that they were in 2019.

bec102896
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

The number I provided is for customer relations which is the department that has the power to issue LUV vouchers, issue refunds, offer gestures of goodwill, or make exceptions. Customer relations is different from the regular customer service number. 

-Blake

jeng2251
Explorer C

Thank you for the suggestions but it was customers relations that gave the response that I got. Since I can’t change my dates they are turning it around and making it my fault, very poor customer service. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@jeng2251 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions but it was customers relations that gave the response that I got. Since I can’t change my dates they are turning it around and making it my fault, very poor customer service. 

In that case since Southwest cancelled your flight you should be able to request a refund to your credit card. 

-Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A

You do realize that every airline EXCEPT SOUTHWEST dropped their change/cancel fees.Southwest didn't need to because it never charged he fees.

All airlines EXCEPT SOUTHWEST charge the prevailing rate when one rebooks the same itinerary on different dates. If there is no service offered it cannot do that.

Further:

Every airline INCLUDING SOUTHWEST charges the prevailing rate when a customer books a new itinerary. That is what you were trying to to.

My advice, take the refund and try to find a flight on another carrier.