Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest Cancels flight then charges more to rebook

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Southwest has long had this policy and in some situations it just requires a little looking into.

For example - 

Say your flight out of SNA (John Wayne Airport) is cancelled and you’re offered to rebook at another airport. Your options are - ONT, LAX, BUR, or LGB. But SAN (San Diego) is left out of the options even though it’s only an hour from SNA.

If you’re in such a situation where SAN Airport (an hour away) has a workable flight why not reach out to their Executive Office who does have more power to make things happen than customer relations?

Not like you’re asking to be rerouted out of SFO or LAS (Las Vegas). I find it to be an entirely reasonable request considering the distance between airports and that they’d let you go to ONT, LAX, LGB, or BUR free of charge rebooking.

LindaB
Explorer C

If THEY are the ones who initiate the change, there should not be a fee to change. Their email to me said that the change would be free of charge. But they lied. The app and online system both charge for changes even if the customer is trying to unsnarl the mess SW made of their business trip. Customer relations is simply not available. So, SW gets the money for my flights and I have to book a new flight AND pay for it. It is a great scam for a company that is trying to gather in some quick short term cash because their reputation does not matter any more - they know they are about to go bust because DC has it in for them. Do you really think adding 30 days more to the mask mandates when every other country in the world is lifting all mandates is about public health?

LindaB
Explorer C

SW is not the same airline it was before the COVID exposure restrictions destroyed the airline industry. The goal was to eliminate all the non-mainstream companies. SW is on a hit-list and they are self-destructing. I am facing similar issues. This is a sinking ship.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@LindaB wrote:

SW is not the same airline it was before the COVID exposure restrictions destroyed the airline industry. The goal was to eliminate all the non-mainstream companies. SW is on a hit-list and they are self-destructing. I am facing similar issues. This is a sinking ship.

🤣

Well, to be fair, no airline is exactly the same as it was, but Southwest still remains at the top of the list in my book.

Your posts about your flight and being charged to change it doesn't make sense. If Southwest makes a schedule change (i.e. your 8AM flight now departs at 8:30AM), Southwest sends you an e-mail that your flight has changed and if you are not happy with the change you can change it at no cost, typically within 72 hours of receiving the e-mail, although it may be a little longer now. If you waited longer than that to change your flight, you are out of luck and have to pay the difference if the fare increased. And by the way, we are having a gas crisis at the moment ... fares are going to be higher to compensate. It is that way across the board - this is not a "Southwest" problem. 

--Jessica