Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Southwest Changed My Flights

New Arrival

Hello.  I just got notification that my flights have been changed.  Which is fine, except that I now have 2 stops instead of 1 AND my third leg departs before my second leg arrives.  I can't change my flights online, and the wait time on the phone is more than two hours.  And I only have three days to respond to the notification.

Anyone have any experience with this?  What did you do?  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Southwest Changed My Flights

Top Contributor
Solution

There are several other posts with the same question.  If you are unable to make the change online try using the live chat function within the Southwest app or, if that is not available, send a private message via Twitter (@SouthwestAir) or Facebook.

--TheMiddleSeat

Highlighted

Since the beginning of COVID, it's been well documented that each time a new flight schedule comes out, there could be flight changes, you just accept that.  With the low fares, I went crazy making reservations.  However, all but 1 have had some type of flight change, which I have then gone in and make changes that fit my preference.  It's just the norm right now.  

Highlighted

Top Contributor

Months ago Southwest wa far more aggressive than it's competitors in terms of how many flights it planned to fly in the fourth quarter. If memory serves me, Southwest planned on 95% as many flights as were flown during the same time period last year. Southwest expected demand to come back faster and sooner than it's competitors did. It turns out that Southwest was wrong.

So, now it is cutting flights back a bunch in order to comprehend the lower passenger numbers. It is an ongoing painful process as you are experiencing.

Highlighted

Rising Star

It's just the norm right now.  

But it's not the norm when your flights are changed where you can't make the connecting flight 😄 

--Jessica

Highlighted

New Arrival

Similar experience, our 8 hour 1-stop flight became 13 hours and 3-stops.  I understand the need to adjust schedules periodically but such a significant change is unacceptable.  Just try to get a hold of someone at Southwest.  I've tried email, phone and Facebook messenger.  All to no avail.  Sure I can cancel the flight and receive travel credits but I'd rather receive a refund to book on another carrier. 

What success have others had in reaching either a live person or satisfactory social media exchange?  I've been at it for 7 days now...

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@dj58 wrote:

Similar experience, our 8 hour 1-stop flight became 13 hours and 3-stops.  I understand the need to adjust schedules periodically but such a significant change is unacceptable.  Just try to get a hold of someone at Southwest.  I've tried email, phone and Facebook messenger.  All to no avail.  Sure I can cancel the flight and receive travel credits but I'd rather receive a refund to book on another carrier. 

What success have others had in reaching either a live person or satisfactory social media exchange?  I've been at it for 7 days now...

I have NEVER head of anyone not getting a return communication within 7 days from the airline  via  e-mail, phone AND facebook.

You could also try the Southwest app chat function.

Have you tried to make the change yourself online?

Highlighted

New Arrival

I realize we have a new "NORM" but on three occasions Southwest has taken my direct flight for 5 hours and changed it to THREE stops, then my destination and 10 hours.  They keep telling me 'the computer' makes the change and puts you on the most similar flight.  Then I call and wait on hold because the system will not allow me to re-book it online  and I end up with an almost identical flight to my original flight, with maybe 1 stop and an hour extra.  Wish the computer techs could re format these changed flights. Very frustrating for something that seems like an easy fix.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@doodledm wrote:

I realize we have a new "NORM" but on three occasions Southwest has taken my direct flight for 5 hours and changed it to THREE stops, then my destination and 10 hours.  They keep telling me 'the computer' makes the change and puts you on the most similar flight.  Then I call and wait on hold because the system will not allow me to re-book it online  and I end up with an almost identical flight to my original flight, with maybe 1 stop and an hour extra.  Wish the computer techs could re format these changed flights. Very frustrating for something that seems like an easy fix.

You are right. It is very frustrating.

I suspect it is not an easy fix though. If it were easy it would already be fixed.