Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Changed My Flights

Shelbelw7727
Explorer C

Hello.  I just got notification that my flights have been changed.  Which is fine, except that I now have 2 stops instead of 1 AND my third leg departs before my second leg arrives.  I can't change my flights online, and the wait time on the phone is more than two hours.  And I only have three days to respond to the notification.

Anyone have any experience with this?  What did you do?  Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Southwest Changed My Flights

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

There are several other posts with the same question.  If you are unable to make the change online try using the live chat function within the Southwest app or, if that is not available, send a private message via Twitter (@SouthwestAir) or Facebook.

--TheMiddleSeat

Dayborn
Explorer C

Same here. Our 2-hours flights which were changed to 5 to 6-hour flights. I need short flights because of a physical challenge. Fortunately, I was able to rebook our original schedule online.

My question is why is this happening? I have no insight, but my thoughts are that a percentage of people who originally booked these discounted flights will go along with the rebooked itinerary; filling more expensive seats that aren't selling. That would leave more discounted flights to be sold again.

Maybe someone at Southwest thinks this is a good promotional idea, I honestly have no idea. As a consumer I have always advocated for Southwest. This new issue gives me pause. However, I'm pleased that I was able to rebook my original itinerary with no issues.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Airline would not do what you suggest for the reason you suggest. Why? Unhappy passengers.

What is likely happening is the higher fuel costs (you have heard of $4/gal gas?) is causing all airlines to trim some flights which causes airlines to have to rebook passengers with whatever flights the airline still has availability on. Sometimes that means a change from a convenient flight to an inconvenient one.

Since SW changed your flight, SW will allow you to change to a better fligh at no cost - if you find one.

The new flight must be between the same original  and arrival cities as on the first ticket, and can be plus or minus 14 days from the original departure date.

Since the airline cancelled, you also are entitled to a refund to your original form of payment - if you request one 

Dayborn
Explorer C

Agreed, except for the fact that I rebooked the original schedule. So the question remains...why?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Since the beginning of COVID, it's been well documented that each time a new flight schedule comes out, there could be flight changes, you just accept that.  With the low fares, I went crazy making reservations.  However, all but 1 have had some type of flight change, which I have then gone in and make changes that fit my preference.  It's just the norm right now.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

Months ago Southwest wa far more aggressive than it's competitors in terms of how many flights it planned to fly in the fourth quarter. If memory serves me, Southwest planned on 95% as many flights as were flown during the same time period last year. Southwest expected demand to come back faster and sooner than it's competitors did. It turns out that Southwest was wrong.

So, now it is cutting flights back a bunch in order to comprehend the lower passenger numbers. It is an ongoing painful process as you are experiencing.

jksobonya
Aviator A

It's just the norm right now.  

But it's not the norm when your flights are changed where you can't make the connecting flight 😄 

--Jessica

dj58
Explorer C

Similar experience, our 8 hour 1-stop flight became 13 hours and 3-stops.  I understand the need to adjust schedules periodically but such a significant change is unacceptable.  Just try to get a hold of someone at Southwest.  I've tried email, phone and Facebook messenger.  All to no avail.  Sure I can cancel the flight and receive travel credits but I'd rather receive a refund to book on another carrier. 

What success have others had in reaching either a live person or satisfactory social media exchange?  I've been at it for 7 days now...

dfwskier
Aviator A

@dj58 wrote:

Similar experience, our 8 hour 1-stop flight became 13 hours and 3-stops.  I understand the need to adjust schedules periodically but such a significant change is unacceptable.  Just try to get a hold of someone at Southwest.  I've tried email, phone and Facebook messenger.  All to no avail.  Sure I can cancel the flight and receive travel credits but I'd rather receive a refund to book on another carrier. 

What success have others had in reaching either a live person or satisfactory social media exchange?  I've been at it for 7 days now...

I have NEVER head of anyone not getting a return communication within 7 days from the airline  via  e-mail, phone AND facebook.

You could also try the Southwest app chat function.

Have you tried to make the change yourself online?