Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest No refunds

prenault11
Explorer C

The other day I contacted Southwest to cancel a flight . This was brought on because my sons College Graduation has been cancelled due to the Covid-19 Pandemic.

When I spoke with the Southwest Agent, I was told that they only issue Credit for a future flight for the amount I paid.

I then nicely proceeded to talk and explain that this is "not normal times". Couldn't your policy be updated to make exceptions, as the world is suffering from this Pandemic, and it would be a while till we go back to normal.

The agent proceeded to state "this is the Policy' and we do not make exceptions..

Not only is Southwest only giving me a credit, but the credits can only be used for the person the ticket was issued for.. Now to let you know. The ticket was for both myself and my daughter.. She may never use the credit.. Why not just put the credit in a bank, and let anyone use it..like other airlines.

I for one think this is terrible customer service. And for those who state "other airlines are doing the same. You are incorrect. I had a full refund from American Airlines for a trip we could not take due to the Corona Virus. 

This is a terrible action by this airlines. Not only do persons possibly need the funds to pay bills, mortgages,food. They airlines will most likely get bailed out by the Government AGAIN!

Why doesn't Southwest do the right thing, and refund the money back to the customers..Terrible Customer Service

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Southwest No refunds

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@prenault11 I hate to ask you to reach back out, but I would discuss this matter with SW customer relations by reaching out via Twitter or FB message or by calling 855-234-4654. 

I’m not saying they will offer a refund, but if anyone can, that department can. Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

You canceled, and they gave you credit. They did the right thing. If they had canceled, they would refund, but you canceled. It was very clearly laid out in the contract. Southwest didn't cause the current situation. They are accommodating you. Save the credit and take a vacation when everything is over. Stop thinking that you are somehow special and don't have to honor agreements.

prenault11
Explorer C

bwallet sounds like a Southwest Employee.. reading all of his replies..

You don't get it.. 

People need money now. not Credit.. All the other airlines seem to be giving money back...

dfwskier
Aviator A

@prenault11 wrote:

bwallet sounds like a Southwest Employee.. reading all of his replies..

You don't get it.. 

People need money now. not Credit.. All the other airlines seem to be giving money back...

THAT is not true. NO AIRLINE, including Southwest, is refunding tickets that were cancelled by the passenger.

Southwest IS REFUNDING tickets where Southwest cancels the flight -- but you may have to ask for it several times.

kinkp
Explorer C

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/politics/airlines-canceled-flights-refunds/index.html

sooo..the rules don't apply to SW ?

California had put shelter in place. It shouldn't matter if the I cancelled my flight or SW did..

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@kinkp wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/politics/airlines-canceled-flights-refunds/index.html

sooo..the rules don't apply to SW ?

California had put shelter in place. It shouldn't matter if the I cancelled my flight or SW did..

Perhaps it shouldn't. But it does. That only applies when the carrier cancels the flight.

DOT to airlines: Refunds are not optional for canceled flights

prenault11
Explorer C

American Airlines Refunded my flight to my credit card..

Southwest also applied for another Government Payout...So keeping our money , is like getting a bonus... 

Airlines get bailed out all the time .. The only ones who get hurt are MR. & Mrs. Taxpayer..

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@prenault11 wrote:

American Airlines Refunded my flight to my credit card..

Either you purchased a refundable fare or American canceled the flight. There are no cash refunds on non-refundable tickets from any airline.

--TheMiddleSeat

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I am not a Southwest employee. I commute weekly to Houston on Southwest. I’ve got an overinflated sense of fairness, and I despise it when people think that they are special, and that the rules shouldn’t apply to them.