Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest changed flight, still not able to change for more points

carolinestray
Explorer C

I have been utilizing the feature on Southwest to change your flight and receive a flight credit if the fare goes down. I check almost every day.

However, recently Southwest changed my flight and it is only giving me the option to make the one free change on the app. I do not want to use the free change, I am good with what they gave me. But now it is not letting me do the magic trick of checking daily to see if I can get a credit of points.

Any idea how long it will be showing me this in the app instead of letting me do the other type of change? It has been since 4/20 (that's the date they changed my flight). Was hoping it would go away after a week but nothing.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Southwest changed flight, still not able to change for more points

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yes, I've experienced this and it is frustrating. I don't remember how long it takes before the free change becomes unavailable. That seems like something @bec102896 might know.

Will the system let you make the free change to the same flight, clearing that out of the way so you can make the price adjustment? 

--TheMiddleSeat

carolinestray
Explorer C

Unfortunately no, it only gives me other options to choose from. I also looked to see if I could just cancel the ticket and rebook, but it looks like the pricing has gone up. So, I guess it's fine anyway since I wouldn't really be getting points back right now.

dfwskier
Aviator A

The option you describe allows passengers that are unhappy with the rebook to change to a flight that is better for them -- at no cost.. Not all airline instituted rebooks make sense.

I believe the feature stays active for a few weeks - at which point the airline assumes you do not want to make a change, and the option goes away.

I also believe you could "change" to the same flight you are on, thus extinguishing the option.

carolinestray
Explorer C

Thanks for the input! I am hoping maybe once I hit the 2 week mark it'll go away. I'm also going to try calling. Unfortunately it would not let me change to the same flight.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@carolinestray wrote:

I have been utilizing the feature on Southwest to change your flight and receive a flight credit if the fare goes down. I check almost every day.

However, recently Southwest changed my flight and it is only giving me the option to make the one free change on the app. I do not want to use the free change, I am good with what they gave me. But now it is not letting me do the magic trick of checking daily to see if I can get a credit of points.

Any idea how long it will be showing me this in the app instead of letting me do the other type of change? It has been since 4/20 (that's the date they changed my flight). Was hoping it would go away after a week but nothing.

If @TheMiddleSeat  and @dfwskier 's suggestions don't work, check the current fares and change it to something else, then change it back if the cost is still less than you originally paid.

However, you may want to consider that if they've changed you to a favorable flight and it currently costs much more than what you originally paid, then maybe you want to keep it as a bargain upgrade. Especially considering it sounds like you've milked the re-pricing for a fair amount already - call it a day and keep the new one if it represents a higher value than what you are in for.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

carolinestray
Explorer C

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing since the price has gone up. I don't think I'd be getting any points back from here on out because the points are just increasing at this point.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@carolinestray wrote:

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing since the price has gone up. I don't think I'd be getting any points back from here on out because the points are just increasing at this point.

You might be at the point where you keep it, or else if you want to change it to any other flight regardless of current cost now is your chance to snag any more desirable flight times and then it will be "pencils down" for now.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry I’m late to the party here 

I have had this issue tons of times with the Covid changes and I found the easiest solution is to rebook the flight completely because that evil message stays awhile and you don’t want the price to go up waiting on the message to hopefully go away (it looks like the message changed with this round of schedule changes so not sure how long it will stay) 

I had a flight changed almost 2 weeks ago as well the price went down since I have enough points I just booked it again then cancelled the original reservation this ensures I don’t get stuck in to a higher price if it goes up during rebooking. 

sometimes the change is just a flight number and I ask why did they waste the schedule change waiver on that but oh well 

you could also call but I find doing it myself easier one time I did call and the agent didn’t know how to get rid of the message