Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest changed my July flight from Non-stop to a new flight with a plan change

jbrady1012
Explorer C

I don't fly very often and have always picked non-stop flights so I am not familiar with plane changes.  I have a flight scheduled for early July for a family Disney trip.  If the current issues continue and the park closes of course I will need to change my flight or possibly cancel.  Today however I received an email notice that Southwest changed my flight.  It was a non-stop flight and now I have to make a plane change in Houston.  I saw the notice that I can change to something different.  As of right now the only non-stop showing is hours later and I would not arrive until late in the evening so I'm not changing anything just yet. 

As far as the plane change goes, I am traveling with my spouse and two kids 9 and 7 which I know is outside of the family boarding age.  Last summer when we flew I went ahead and purchased early bird to prevent issues with us having to sit separately also to get the automatic check in.  The girls and I sat together and my husband sat in the row behind us.  I haven't purchased it yet for this trip but I intend to. When we board the next flight--does that carry over too?  Being new to having to change planes I really not sure how it works and I don't want to have to scramble for seats with my daughters.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Southwest changed my July flight from Non-stop to a new flight with a plan change

bec102896
Aviator A

Schedule changes can be rough. If you look at the new schedule and find a routing that is better you can change to that flight for free. Personally i find Houston to be an easy airport to connect in for the most part most gates are within a 5min walk if you come in to or go out of gates 1-5 the walk could be 10min. Dallas is also very easy if there were to be a Dallas connection that worked better for you (only 20 gates) 

With the Early Bird the fee will cover the whole one way ticket including a scheduled connection. You will have 2 different boarding passes 1 for each flight if the new flight is a connection where you change planes. 

-Blake 

Re: Southwest changed my July flight from Non-stop to a new flight with a plan change

jbrady1012
Explorer C

Awesome thank you so much for the clarification!