Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest changed our arrival (destination) airport

spratrat
Explorer C

We were booked on ATL-HOU and SW cancelled our flight after delaying it multiple times. We were initially told that the delay was related to crew changes. Our plane was there, but the crew was coming on multiple flights. By the time everyone was in Atlanta, it was after midnight and HOU didn't have any more open gates to accept our flight so they cancelled. We didn't get offered any vouchers (nothing for hotel, food, transportation). They rebooked us for the next morning on a connecting flight to DAL and then to IAH, which is a completely different itinerary and airport!!! SW only says that they just have to get us to our city, not our final destination. We have 2 young kids and no car seats to travel from the far north to the far south of Houston. Is it legal for an airline to change your destination airport? We weren't offered any other flights. We've only been told that everything to HOU is completely booked. TIA!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Southwest changed our arrival (destination) airport

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Per spratrat: "We have 2 young kids and no car seats to travel from the far north to the far south of Houston."

Wait.  What?  How were you originally planning to get the 2 young kids from HOU to home without car seats???

spratrat
Explorer C

@tappingmom1: Our car was parked at HOU airport so we had car seats. I am like you and very uncomfortable with having my young kids not in a car seat, but like the other poster said, they're not required in hired cars in Texas.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Is it legal for an airline to change your destination airport?

Yes. They have the power to switch your arrival, layover, and departure airports for a variety of reasons.

And there is this:

"Each airline has its own policies about what it will do for delayed passengers waiting at the airport; there are no federal requirements. If you are delayed, ask the airline staff if it will pay for meals or a phone call. Some airlines, often those charging very low fares, do not provide any amenities to stranded passengers. Others may not offer amenities if the delay is caused by bad weather or something else beyond the airline's control. Contrary to popular belief, for domestic itineraries airlines are not required to compensate passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled. ...Compensation is required by law on domestic trips only when you are "bumped" from a flight that is oversold." 

Source: U.S. Department of Transportation

I am sorry this happened to you and your family.  I've been through this many, many times.  It's never fun.

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry to hear your flight was cancelled once travel is completed I would Contact Customer Relations so they can review your flight and see what compensation could be provided assuming this delay/cancellation was in Southwest's control. 

-Blake

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

In Texas, children are not required to be in a car seat in a car for hire, including an Uber or Lyft.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Thank you to @bwallet for the clarification regarding the non-use of car seats in hired cars In Texas.  I had no idea!

And apologies to @spratrat for my reaction and misunderstanding of Texas law with respect to his plan for transportation.

Crow for dinner...

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

morning flights delayed less because the plane is at the gate. Also, this is true because afternoon equal thunderstorms. 

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@spratrat,. So sorry this happened.  An after midnight trip from IAH to HOU will not be fun.  The only good thing is less traffic on the road so hopefully less worry about not having the children in car seats.  The fare from one airport to the other was about $65 via Uber about three years ago (and about $1 per minute).  Plus I always found that catching an Uber or Lyft from IAH was more complicated than I liked, so Hobby was always my airport of choice.  I hope the trek goes well and the children are sleeping.  My child never got sleepy on a plane or in a hired car, no matter how early or late I traveled, so I know you cannot count on that.  My heart goes out to you — it was always hard for me to grasp just how big Houston is in land area.  I agree with you that it doesn’t seem like the two airports should be counted as being in the same city.