Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest changes flight

ghelmlinger11
Explorer C

I have a flight in a little over two weeks and I received an email that Southwest changed one of the flights.   They switched my flight to a totally different flight. The flight they changed it to has a really bad times as it leaves early in the morning about six hours before my original flight. The original flight is still available as I went on to take a look online.  

Long story short I was able to call Southwest and move back to my original flight. I asked why I was switched for no reason and they said Something about inventory. The scary thing is they said it could happen again. Our flight is two weeks away I am now going to need to check in my flight daily to make sure they don’t change it on me?  I totally understand if the flight gets canceled and we need to make changes, but our original flight was not canceled

Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Southwest changes flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest announced two significant  COVA-19 things yesterday

1) passengers and crew will be required to wear masks as of 5/11

2)Southwest will sell a limited number of seats/plane to allow more spacing between passengers.

So, it is entirely possible that the flight you were on was "oversold" per the criteria in #2 above. I would imagine that when that happens , Southwest will have to rebook some passengers - even though the flight still shows up as active.

Maybe that's what happened to you.

ghelmlinger11
Explorer C

That makes sense.   Hopefully going forward we’re OK. Being two weeks out we should be safe. 

thanks

AndieZ
Explorer C

We were scheduled on a nonstop from Phoenix to Omaha tomorrow at noon and received a text at 4:30 pm that our flight is canceled.   

We are rebooked for tomorrow for the same flight.    They said they are seeing a lot of non stops canceled.   

Although I could rebook on a connecting flight.....what are the chances that the 2nd leg is canceled?

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm afraid that there is no answer to your question.

I would hope that the airline is not doing many same day cancellations.

bec102896
Aviator A

Did the flight number of your original flight change or the time by even 5min? If so the system will rebook you. 

Luckily since the airline changed your flight you are able to change it back or to any other flight for free (no fare difference). 

-Blake