Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest does not care about how it impacts it's paying customers.

tctmonkey
Explorer C

I was attempting to fly out of Las Vegas to get back to work after a family emergency.  Southwest canceled the flight with no notification, rescheduled me for the next morning. 

1. Not notified
  2. Incurred additional expenses to reschedule (Car rental, Room)
  3.  Loss of wages

While the poor person "handling"me on the phone got to deal with an irate customer,  the line was "here is what we can do, take it or leave it".  We don't care that our inability to provide what we promised you impacted you in a negative way and because our inability to perform cost you significant additional monies.    If the company I work for did that we would be sued out of business.    Then the hours of time on the phone trying to speak to someone at SWA who gives a dam.     I have zero faith the rescheduled flight will actually get off the ground at its scheduled time.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Southwest does not care about how it impacts it's paying customers.

gsking
Aviator C

I understand your frustration,  but it seems that you indeed want more out of them than they can provide.   While I'm not sure why you didn't get the cancelation notification (which seems very unusual), they can't do much more than give you a new flight and perhaps compensation for the room.   Lost wages and rental car seem beyond reasonable expectations. 

tctmonkey
Explorer C

So by that logic, I am not able to make reliable plans based on their promises.  

1. Lost wages, had they gotten me to my destination on time my wages would not have been lost.  Not everyone works remotely and can afford not to be at work.
  2. Car rental extension again failed to deliver scheduled service which forced me to change my plans. 

Attempting to contact customer service for over an hour, I do not trust them to actually call you back, based on their performance so far.

gsking
Aviator C

Yep,  that's pretty much how it works.   You can argue that anyone or anything is liable for your lost wages,  or a missed opportunity at winning the lottery,  or pain and suffering and loss of consortium from missing a night with your wife.   

But those numbers aren't visible to Southwest airlines.... did you plan to show them a pay stub?  Or do they just take your word for it? 

There's the generally (perhaps legally via contract of carriage) accepted minimum the airline must provide  you for the canceled flight.   Beyond that, you'll likely need a lawyer.   So that's why there's "only so much the agent can do for you".

tctmonkey
Explorer C

Don't care about missing the night with the family, maybe the dogs, they are good dogs!    Oddly enough I see you are all protecting SW so I assume you are all employees or Fanboy/Fangirls.    My employer does provide legal documentation for docked wages besides a paystub so I assume I will have to submit that to some customer service center once someone actually picks up?   I am sorry I am not as well off as everyone who posted a reply.  Clearly, airfare is more than I can afford.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Poor assumption, I think it just shows your opinion is very unpopular. As mentioned in the first reply you received, there is no recourse. You could appeal to Customer Relations for a voucher for the inconvenience.

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

I'm not arguing with your anger.   In fact,  I understand your position and see your logic.  Nor am I defending the airline. 

I'm just telling you the facts.   As noted,  SWA is not legally liable for your problems.   If it were,  your airfare would be much more expensive to cover these types of claims. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@tctmonkey wrote:

So by that logic, I am not able to make reliable plans based on their promises.  

Actually, you CANNOT ALWAYS make reliable plans on ANY airline.

You do know that every airline cancels and delays flights???? Fly enough and it WILL happen to you eventually - on every airline..

They all do it without notice (I've never received a "we're thinking about cancelling your flight" communication from any airline during my 62 years of putting my butt in plane seats).

I've learned two things in all of my years of flying:

1) If you travel enough times you WILL be canceled or delayed. It is unavoidable

2) If you absolutely HAVE TO be some place on a given day, DO NOT travel on that day . Travel on the day before that date, and sometimes early on the day before. Why? See point #1 above. I personally learned that lesson a long time ago. It seems you are just now learning it.

jksobonya
Aviator A

How is Southwest (or any airline) responsible for "lost wages"? They don't know your job status - for all they know you could have been unemployed, or had 6 weeks paid vacation to use up. 

--Jessica

tctmonkey
Explorer C

Well, If the schedule was to put me at my place of employment and I can provide I am docked pay for missing that day and I provide them with the proof it should be pretty easy.   I am sure my employer can create the required official documentation.  To your point of PTO, I shouldn't have to use my PTO for their error.  They failed to crew the flight they scheduled, I have absolutely nothing to do with their staffing other than paying the fair.   No one gives me a handout, why should I give a billion-dollar company one?